Help! Front end wobble on '98 TJ

For a while there has been some mild vibration on the highway in my '98 TJ. I figure its time for a balance and rotation. But immediately following this I notice a pretty serious wobble at 55-60 mph. Not a vibration, but a 5.6 on the Richter scale! The steering column starts shaking. I go back to the tire shop and request a front end alignment, particularly since I now notice both cupping and outside wear on the tires. The good folks there say that I'd be waisting money on an alignment when what I really need is a new damper and/or tie rods. Now I'm a do-it-yourselfer. So here are my questions:

1) Are the tire guys right? How would they know if its a damper problem, a tie rod problem or both?

2) How easy is it to replace a damper and/or tie rod? I've got the 'ol Haynes manual as my trusty guide.

3) I'm sure that if I replaced either the damper or tie rods that an alignment would be necessary. Would it be cheaper to have the tire guys do it all or would I save money replacing the front end parts myself and only having them do the alignment afterwards?
Reply to
gkucera

This is called Death Wobble, its very common.

Maybe, but why didnt they tell you in the first place that you had a problem starting? With that wear pattern they should have said something to you IMO.

Both are pretty easy.

Save your $ and just have them align it. You can do the rest yourself.

However....while you are under there check all the ends of all your steering components. I recently had mine replaced on my 98 and it made a world of difference in the way it drove. You need a new tie rod only if your existing one is bent. If it is, go with an aftermarket one. If you have a problem in the steering, a new damper (steering stabilizer) will often hide the problem for a while.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

you need new tires... this will cure the problem

Reply to
IsellJeeps