Diesel GC??

Anyone ever put a diesel motor in a Grand Cherokee? If so, what motor? How well did it work? What tranny was used? ???????

The troller carefully considers his bait. "hmm diesel engine swaps"
He casts his line . . . .
And he waits - - - - - -
Will the Bill fish bite?
The crowd waits in hushed anticipation. <lol>

LMAO
Dean,
What is your response supposed to mean? I'm simply asking a question. Is that not what newsgroups are for......discussion?

There are a few in this group who really hate diesels sadly.

i do because they smell bad and are allowed to leak oil on the ground thru the case vents but then we got out liberty's with the new diesel and i'm quite impressed no stinky exhaust while it was running in the shop and the power is good to bad diesel fuel now costs more than gas around here
Dave Milne wrote:

bet the Liberty's diesel leaks less oil than my wagonneer ! I've been saying this all along - modern diesels on low sulphur fuel are not smelly, and far removed from the old oil burning mercedes of the 70s which were.

motor?
I wouldn't go so far as to call the Liberty Diesel completely modern. It still has a bit of the old can of marbles characteristic.
Somewhere [?Autoweek?] ran into a rumor that DC was building a modern turbodiesel aimed to have more power than the VW V-10 TDI unit. *That* might make a good fit for future GC or Commander.
Still, I wonder how they deal with engine braking, or more correctly the lack thereof without a Jake Brake.
Dave Milne proclaimed:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:08:53 -0800, Lon wrote:

When you shut the fuel off in a 22:1 compression engine, you can bet your a$$ that you get braking.. The "Jake Brake" was invented for trucks, where you're trying to stop 10 tons & up... not too common in a passenger vehicle. It simply is a force multiplier.
--

-bob-
_______________________
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, F. Robert Falbo wrote:

No Jake for small diesels, they get an exhaust brake.
-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.
That and, sadly, some who come here to proselytize their particular religious beliefs about fuels.
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Dave Milne wrote:

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.
not me - I'd like to have a big diesel for sure, but I'm happy for you to stick with your petrol.

motor?
Yep, I knew that about you. It wasn't you I was point at, it was the strangers who pop in from nowhere to argue.
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Dave Milne wrote:

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

No, unfortunately for some, news groups are for trolling. If you weren't trolling then you were doing a pretty good imitation. Netiquette say you should read a group for a while before posting. Had you googled for diesel in this group you would have found the topic beaten to death. (Then stomped on, kicked, and finally burned to ashes in a smokey cloud of diesel fumes <lol>)
My post was meant to be a humorous poke at what the regulars will recognize as an old, boring topic that for some strange reason brings on some rather long and sometimes smokey responses. <g>
Dean

You can get them here with a VM diesel.

How

I looked into this. They sell Diesel Grand Cherokees in Europe:
http://carsearch.yahoo.co.uk/pdb/product.jsp?catId 0354123&pid270219
I believe they will be putting the same 2.7 Liter engine in the Liberty.
Over here in New Zealand Liberty(ours is badged Cherokee) 2.8 VM 4 Cylender,Grand Cherokee 2.7 Merc 5 Cylinder

Out here away from the usa diesel Grands are common. New ones have the "CRD", old ones have a turbo diesel supposedly from Renault.
Now, diesel wranglers are what is needed. They used to provide Opel diesel conversions for wranglers. Some place in the Dominican Republic is doing these swaps now I have heard.
Bmrdude wrote:

But you have to keep them on level pavement, and park them if it snows: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemE22575609&category 765&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
David Lyall wrote:

Probably NOT a 4x4: HI AND LO RANGE TRANSFERCASE, FULL WITH DANA 60 REAR END STRAIGHT TUBE AXLE FRONT END <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 16.5" 8 LUG WHEELS STEEL CARGO BOX, STEEL FUEL TANK WEIGHS 6060 LBS, MOST OF THE WEIGHT IS THE REAR BUMPER AND CARGO BOX 4.88 REAR AXLE RATIO