Diesel Liberty Engine Block Heater

According to the stickier, my 06 CRD Liberty has an engine block heater, but looking under the hood, I'm having a hard time finding it. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Barry Bean

Have the sales person where you bought it show you. He will either find it right away or you will have fun watching him look for it. A diesel "has to" have a block heater, but this wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer left something off.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Not over here - never seen one. For a start, there isn't anywhere public to plug it into.

Dave Milne

Hmm, didn't think of that. "Over here" people plug them in at night, which is the worst time, but they are usually at home then, with an extension cord. In Canada and Alaska, away from the warm spots, even the gas engine vehicles need block heaters. I'll bet the Norwegians have them. They make a world of difference.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

But IIRC you have some supermarkets that you can plug into as well ? Beats lighting a fire under your diesel sump :-) I remember changing some gearbox oil one winter - was only about -5C and the oil had the consistency of jelly. In the end I had to heat it up in one of mum's old saucepans before it would flow ( yes, I got into trouble !).

manufacturer

Reply to
Dave Milne

I have done that. I used a Coleman Peak 1 backpacking stove.

Usually internal combustion engines stay warm enough to restart for an hour or two. Overnight is the bad time.

Synthetic oils address this problem. Do you really want to drive off, with the transmission and rear axle full of jelly?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The are generally installed in one of the front freeze plugs..... that and there would be a big thick wire attached.

pix:

billy ray

And parking meters.

Reply to
billy ray

I used to keep charcoal briquettes and a garbage can lid or hibachi in the trunk when I lived where it was -40 or lower for weeks on end.

Even just going ice fishing for the day could need a warm up to turn them over. A boost won't help in those temps.

Mike

Mike Romain

One of the advantages to living in the sunny South, I've never had (or needed) a block heater.

Jeff DeWitt

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Thanks! Now I know where to look!

BB

Reply to
Barry Bean

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote in news:uIEWg.8797$UE6.5556 @tornado.southeast.rr.com:

It doesn't have to get all that cold for a blockheater to be nice to have. We're only 100 miles North of Memphis, but there are still a few weeks in the winter when a block heater makes life a little easier in the morning, whether you're talking about a 4 cylinder car diesel or the ton trucks. Why push the starter more than you have to?

Reply to
Barry Bean

It's tied to the dip stick tube on my 06 crd. I've owned diesel cars since

78 in central Ohio and have never needed one yet.
Reply to
Jo Bo

"Jo Bo" wrote in news:d04Xg.12826$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Sometimes its not a matter of "needing" so much as it is avoiding wear and tear during the coldest part of winter. As much as posible, we plug everything diesel in or park it inside during the bad weather.

Reply to
Barry Bean

I've never had a diesel so never really thought about it that much except for really cold weather.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Reply to