99 cherokee sport 4wd

I recently realised the error of my ways, and returned to Jeep fold !! In the past I have always had my jeeps serviced by the dealership, this vehicle I bought from a Toyota dealership . The question is..they are offering a fairly decent discount on any service on the vehicle over the next 12 months, I will be changing the fluids in the transfer case and transmission and differentials, would Toyota products be combatable or should I have the jeep service centre do the work ?

Many thanks, BMC

Reply to
Brian Colwell

As long as they use fluids that meet OEM specs on your Jeep there shouldn't be a problem.

But how would you know if they did? Would they we willing to repair any damage caused by using the wrong fluids? Is the discount worth the aggravation and possibility of expensive repairs that they will fight you tooth and nail on?

My advice, either watch them in the repair bay to see what they put in or take it to your Jeep center.

Or, better yet, do it yourself.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Many of the fluids/lubricants/coolants are specific to DC and you would not want to use Toyota or any 'universal' brand.

Perhaps they would offer a discount if you supply the materials....

In addition many of the brands you have used for years and your father and grandfather before you are no longer acceptable..

Get yourself a copy of the XJs 'Build Sheet'. It will list all the components used to build your Jeep at the factory and will be invaluable in days to come.

Build Sheet example:

Thank you for your email to DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation regarding your 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:

E7DV Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats ADC Convenience Group APAS Monotone Paint A24P 4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Spd Auto Trans(DGK BAZS 136 Amp Alternator BC6S 625 Amp Maintenance Free Battery BRYS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes CACS Low Back Bucket Seats CBWS Highline Door Trim Panel CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat CGUS Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready CG1S Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags** CKDS Floor Carpet CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats CLHS Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net CLPS Door Sill Scuff Pads CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover CSRS Passenger Assist Handles CUDP Mini Overhead Console CUFS Full Length Floor Console DGBS All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions DGK 4-Spd. Automatic 42RE Transmission DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter DHPS Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle DMDS 3.55 Axle Ratio DRMS Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle ERH 4.0L Power Tech I-6 Engine GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass GEGS Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass GEPS Flipper Liftgate Glass GFAS Rear Window Defroster GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror GNVS Sun Visors w/Vanity Mirror GTNS Power Mirrors, Fold-Away GXMP Remote Keyless Entry GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System HAAS Air Conditioning HGAS Hood Insulation HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns JKAS Locking Glove Box JKPS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet JKYS Power Accessory Delay JPBS Power Locks JPDS Power Windows, Driver One-Touch JPSS Power 6-Way Driver Seat K4AS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR K5AS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR LACS Illuminated Entry LAGS Warning Chime LAZP Vehicle Information Center LBBS Courtesy Lamps LBCS Glove Box Lamp LBDS Ash Tray Lamp LCES Rear Courtesy/Reading Lamps LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer LMBS Halogen Headlamps LPSS CHMSL Lamp MDAP Front License Plate Bracket MFZS Bright Grille MHAS Black Windshield Moldings MVBS Grand Cherokee Badge MVCS Jeep Badge MWGS Roof Rack MWTS 4X4 Badge NAS 50 State Emissions NBGP Federal Tier 2, Bin 9A Emissions NFPS 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank NHMS Speed Control PXR Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat QXRS Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles RBP AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl RCGS 6 Speakers RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering SCAS Steering Wheel SDAS Normal Duty Suspension SUAS Tilt Steering Column TBBS Full Size Spare Tire TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire TR7P P225/75R16 OWL All Season Tires TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires WDQP 16" Steel Spare Wheel WDS 16X7.0 Forged Aluminum Wheels WLYC All Steel Wheels WLZC All Aluminum Wheels XPFS Protective Coating and Remover YAAS Build To U S Market Specifications YEP Manuf Statement of Origin YGCA 7 Additional Gallons of Gas ZKFP Spring - Left Front ZKYP Spring - Left Rear ZYFP Spring - Right Front ZYYP Spring - Right Rear

If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Thank you again for your email.

NOTE: Please do not use the 'Reply' function of your email system. If you have a need to respond to this message, please visit us at our reply form (link provided below). Our system is NOT able to accept any emails at this address.

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the following information: REFERENCE NUMBER: 13874302 REPLY LINK:

Sincerely,

Susan Senior Staff Representative DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center

"Brian Colwell" wrote in message news:0GvWg.113087$5R2.93548@pd7urf3no...

Reply to
billy ray

AFAIK every fluid on a '99 Cherokee has an aftermarket equivalent, so it isn't necessary to use only D-C fluids, as long as the fluids meet D-C's specifications. The question is, will the Toyota dealer go to the trouble to determine what the Cherokee's specs are, and provide the spec'd fluids, or would they just pull what they have off the shelf and hope they will work?

Matt Macchiarolo

I appreciate the replys............I will have the DC people handle it, not worth the agravation of possibly having it screwed up !

Thanks again; BMC

Reply to
Brian Colwell