Dinged Drive Shaft

It seems my TJ's front drive shaft became up close and personal with a rock at some point. There are some deep scratches and a bit of a dent in it:

Am I paranoid to worry about itbeing more likely to pretzel now? Should I get it re-tubed or not worryabout it?

What would you folks do if it was yours?

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

PeterP did pass the time by typing:

That depends what you do. If your planning on highway driving your shaft will be unbalanced and start to put wear on U joints and bushings. If your just off-roading a spare shaft would be a good idea because you will eventually twist it up.

Retubed

replace it with something stronger.

Reply to
DougW

If that was mine I would just drive it. It is a front shaft so it does not even get that high speed freeway use so balance will not be an issue at all. Nothing in those pictures looks like structural damage.

Reply to
Fletcher

Reply to
Al King

It's a TJ, stock front axle and DS, always turns.

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

Not if he has manual locking hubs and has them unlocked, right?

Reply to
Shaggie

... unless it's on a workbench in the garage, of course!

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

A combination of both, unfortunately.

As in, retubed with thicker tube? Or another drive shaft entirely?

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

Either. It depends on where you are going with the Jeep. If your planning on a lift kit you might look into a stronger drive shaft or one that can more easily resist off-road abuse.

Reply to
DougW

Then now's the time to upgrade! :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I've already the u-bolt yoke, but I think I'll put in on the high-pinion Dana 30 that's also in the garage while changing the gear ratio, and swap that in. I'll stick with straps on the stock D30 until then.

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

I guess, but it hasn't broken yet. I'm only running 33" tires and no lockers. I'm trying not to go much beyond that until the payments are done. Seems to me I shouldn't be upgrading until I'm regularly breaking things or frequently getting stuck, neither of which is the case yet. I just don't want to be asking for trouble by ignoring things that shouldn't be ignored, hence the question about the driveshaft "ding".

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

I've had a 3" lift on it for a couple of years, and offroad about a dozen times a year. I'm not sure when the "ding" happened, it's just as rusty as the rest of the shaft. I suppose it could have been there for a long time, perhaps from before the lift and I just haven't been observant enough to notice. I think I'll stick with the shaft as is until I replace the front axle and have to address its length anyway. Maybe I'll try and get a spare shaft in the meantime.

I wonder how much damage can be done to the axle and transfer case when a drive shaft pretzels?

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

PeterP did pass the time by typing:

That depends on how it goes. I've seen everyting from zero damage to broken castings. Although the broken castings have only been on the rear shaft.

Reply to
DougW

Sorry, I meant upgrade to manual locking hubs. That would save on drivetrain wear for highway use and maybe give you a tiny bit better gas mileage even.

Reply to
Shaggie