Drive shaft question

Can I safely have the stock two piece drive shaft in my '71 F-100 longbed converted to a single shaft?

Reply to
Mark C.

Safe? Probably, when it breaks I doubt that it would injure anyone.

Why would you want to do this?

Reply to
Peter Arnold

Before you do that, you should do a bit of research. One of the factors that determines the maximum RPM of a drive shaft is the length. That is because the longer the shaft is, the more critical balance becomes and the more likely it is that the shaft will "whip" as the RPM increases. This also influences the torque rating of the shaft and reduces the critical RPM of the shaft. You can find one calculator for critical speed here:

The two section design also safely allows for greater overall driveline or U joint angles which help reduce joint failure.

Reply to
lugnut

You can probably do this if you increase the driveshaft diameter to about 6 inches with 1/4-inch wall oil pipe.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

Yeah Ernie, you must be an automotive engineer or something, more like a sand lot mechanic. Next thing you will be telling us is to use 4" diameter pipe and 1/2" wall thickness. And, don't forget to fill that pipe up with lead or concrete. Why would we expect that you know any more about driveshafts than you do about quoting, when posting to newsgroups?

Reply to
Tyrone

My local drive shaft place won't make one over 77". I'm with everyone else, why would you want to change it?

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

Cause a two piece is a pain in the butt

Reply to
Mark C.

How so???

Reply to
invalid unparseable

As a matter of fact a mechanical engineer, made a lot of money over the years designing many different types of machines and equipment ranging from mining to EPS fabrication, as well as RVs. The laws of physics apply to everyone and everything, given the same situation. Twisting a long shaft produces interesting results, especially when a lot of torque is applied at one end and considerable resistance at the other. It's pinheads like yourself who don't understand what takes place that gets people killed and maimed when they refuse to seek sound advice. In driveshafts larger diameters with hollow interiors are much more sound than solid shafts. I'd go into the physics of why but I'm sure it would sail far above your carrot-top hairdo.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

Speaking of "Pinheads" Ernie, who are you replying to? How would anyone know? Have you ever heard of quoting?

Reply to
Tyrone

"Pinheads"? Aren't those the people who TOP POST???

Definitions: Top-posting: Writing the message above the original text, when one replies to an email or a post in a newsgroup. Bottom-posting: The opposite of top-posting. Now the new message is placed below the original text.

are fanatic Usenet-readers. As a result we are often annoyed by people who keep top-posting. This is considered as not good 'Net etiquette'. The majority of Usenet-users prefer bottom-posting. In addition to bottom-posting, it is customary to leave out non-relevant parts of the message with regard to the reply, and to put the reply directly beneath the quoted relevant parts. If you want to know more about writing new posts. Check out this site:

351CJ

non-relevant

Thanks for your post with the links. I generally do not top post, except when I encounter a newsgroup where most of the participants do, as in news://alt.trucks.ford.

Reply to
Tyrone

LOL! No problem...

Reply to
351CJ

I use OE and have the courtesy to set my reply settings so they don't repeat each and every previous post to the thread. This naturally places any of my posts at the top. If you don't like it then go to another subject. Jeeze....some people need something to complain about that's why I occasionally sneak a type in somewhere.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

I agree. I hate to scroll past all of the other posts to read what's at the bottom.

Takes too long, and I'm way to lazy for that.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

That's what trimming your posts is for.. Personally, I could give a turd if it's on top or bottom, as long as there aren't 4 bazillion lines of previous thread quoted for a 3 word response.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You call it "courtesy". I call it laziness. It would be more courteous to quote the message that you are replying to so that we can get the context of your reply. I also use OE. H

Reply to
Hairy

In Outlook Express, you are replying to the message that you attach to. Pretty simple to me.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Yes, simple for you, since you know who you attached to. Not so simple for the rest of us. H

Reply to
Hairy

Gee Whiz Jethro....just look at the thread the reply was attached to....

Reply to
Ernie Sparks