Muffler work (DIY)

Hi all,

For some reason I've always had the impression muffler work was beyond the average joe. That is, you would need weld to install a muffler. Got to thinking about it today while my jeep was on the rack and it looks pretty simple. I just don't know how the pieces are put together.

How are exhaust pipe joints joined at the cat and muffler?

Other than perhaps a tube bender, what other tools/skills are necessary for installing/fixing exhaust pipes?

Can the parts be had at the local parts store?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Clamp or weld or both

are necessary for

Combi Wrenches, socket set , or the like. Extea washers, especially around hanger holes. Get new hangers, and possibly a can of rust converter.

Yes, however, it is sometimes rather inexpensive to have the tailpipe run in a shop, especially given the expense of a bender that is going to actually work, material, and the learning curve.

Install your cat and new muffler (do NOT use straight through muffler) at home if you like, after that, you may be happier having the rest done at a shop, or you can buy pre-bent pieces, but that is a lot of joints. I am a plumber by trade, so it comes as no surprise that I see every joint as a potential leak/problem. Most often, pipe doesn't leak in the middle. Same here. You may just pull tape and draw what you need and have a local shop, if available, bend it in one piece. Getting between the rear axle and the tub may be a challenge.

Good Luck

Reply to
Fennidh