does anyone know this?

I want to install a new air filter housing on my 258, carter carb. Does anyone know the receiver size? that worded right...

in other words, I ditched the emissions crap and want a new air filter housing and im not sure what "size" I need.

hope that makes sense

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

I guess you live someplace warm eh? Man I hate it when my carb turns into a block of ice so I kept the stock filter housing with the hot air intake tube.

I think the aftermarket housings come by vehicle type so you just get one that says it's fits a CJ/YJ or use a tape measure on the opening.......

Mike

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

maybe im making a mistake.....im in Alberta. I should probably keep the original one...or keep it for winter. I just liked the idea of seeing the vavle cover..

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Canadian Tire sells new air filter housings that will fit on. They sell a lot of Jeep stuff including carb kits.

Alberta is where I saw a whole mess of frozen carbs. One froze into a solid block at 50 mph in a snow storm on the Jasper highway. What a riot that was, the throttle stayed at 50 mph..... We got it stopped and had to pull into a garage bay in Edson or Stoney plain maybe for an hour to thaw the sucker.

I do recommend the stock filter and heat tube for the winter.....

Mike

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

hmm....that heat tube is on the manifold right? which I replaced with a pacesetter header. any way to rig something up? Have you seen any fixes?

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

I have seen bailing wire or large plumbing hose clamps used to hook the original to one of the header pipes.

I think you can get heat tube boxes for headers or I guess a bit of sheet metal and some snips.... I would check at the wreckers maybe. They are usually just screwed or riveted on.

You have serious cold out there.....

Mike

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

hehheh...yes we do, dont dare piss outside or it'll freeze up before you're done.

I never took a close look at the other one, I'll probably be able to rig it up.

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

So Bill, what you're saying is I can forget about having a pretty chrome air filter????

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper