Gas leak, caused by?

I have been smelling a strong gasoline odor from the vents when I had the A/C on, and then when I popped the hood I see gasoline leaking from the fuel rail (see link to image). I am thinking it is the fuel injector, and dropped in some fuel injector cleaner, seemed to relieve it for a few days, then it came back stronger than ever, time to clean/replace the fuel injector if that? or can it be something else?

94XJ 4.0L 2WD
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Adonis

Reply to
Adonis

A leaking injector definitely won't stop leaking because you ran cleaner thru it! If it is an injector, you will see one of the 6 injectors dripping/seeping fuel when the engine is running or as long as there is pressure in the fuel rail. Note where the injectors sit: directly above the ehaust manifold. Having a gas leak drip onto a hot manifold is not a good idea, really, so if it's a leak find it and fix it pronto. The are two possible leaks around the injector. If the injector itself has an internal leak replace it. If the leak is around the o-ring that seals the injector-rail joint you can pull the fuel rail and replace ALL the o-rings (one on each end of each injector). Simple job - just buy the proper o-ring kit and follw instructions about which one goes on what end of the injector.

If it's an injector problem it will probably be leaking around the electrical connector. I check that by pulling the connector, rotating the injector so that the plug is straight up than blowing it good and dry. Turn the ignition on - no need to start it - and see ig the connector well gets damp. If so, pitch that injector. Since you have to remove the fuel rail to replace the injector, I would highly advise replacing the o-rings on all the injectors at the same time.

Reply to
Will Honea

Adonis did pass the time by typing:

That isn't an injector, that's the pressure regulator and either the gasket is leaking or the regulator is broken. (pull the vac hose off and if it is full of gas then the regulator needs to be replaced. Do not crank down on the bolts, the fuel rail is aluminum, distorts easily, and is expensive.

LIST OEMFUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, Jeep92-96 $84.25 $67.40

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III