Dome lights

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has rigged up their own switch for the dome lights. I would like to take my doors off but dont want to pull the fuse to shut the lights off. Can anyone answer these three questions. What wires would I have to tap into? Where are they located? What amp switch would I use? I have an 06 TJ. Thanks in advance. Gary

Reply to
Gary

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

THere's a kit for doing exactly what you want from Quadratec, if I remember correctly. But pulling the fuse is simple and costs nothing.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Whats wrong with pulling number 4 fuse???? Maybe because I "dont want to pull the fuse to shut the lights off". Now then, can anyone give me an answer. Gary

Reply to
Gary

The second easiest thing would be to tap your switch (and fuse) across the socket for fuse 4. Far easier is to just pull #4. This fuse is explicitly to disable dome lights when the doors are removed. What is so hard about it that would make you want to go to the work and expense of adding a special switch? Jeep has got you covered on this one, and it's not rocket surgery to pop a fuse out in the spring when the soft top goes on.

Reply to
jeff

When you pull that fuse, does it also disable the headlight switch for the dome light?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - G> Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has rigged up their own switch for the
Reply to
Mike Romain

No, it should not, not on my '00...the '06 uses a stalk-mounted headlight switch, '00 uses a Real Switch on the dash.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

OK, since you can still turn on the dome via the switch apparently, I figure you want the chimer to work.

In that case I would go behind the door pillar and cut the wire to the door switch running two of the same gauge wires from there up to a DPST switch. The Double poles are one for each side. (Maybe it would be ok to use a single pole, but when in doubt, I separate them.)

Then you simply hit the switch and the door switches are turned on or off.

The Cherokee wiring diagram says it uses 20 gauge wires for the dome light and door switches.

The switch should be rated a bit higher than the fuse. Auto parts stores and electronic stores sell 20 and 30 amp switches.