Draining front differential CJ3B

Is there a drain hole somewhere on the bottom of front differential? I can only find the fill plug mid way up the cover. If that's it, how do you change the fluid?

Thanks.

Yamash

Reply to
Yamash

They figured you like the smell and feel of old gear oil so you have to pull off the cover to change the fluid.

It is a good idea anyway so you can get any dirt and gunk out.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks for the advice, Mike. Looks like a fairly easy job. It's been sitting for 30 years so no telling what's living in there.

Yamash

Reply to
Yamash

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It doesn't show anything at that link Bill.

If it has a drain, I still would open it the first time to make sure it isn't full of gunk.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yamash did pass the time by typing:

Just remember to leave the top bolt backed out, but still threaded in. It keeps the cover from falling into the oil pan when you pry it off.

Also it's a good idea to change the fluid after a short run. Warmer fluid drains more effectivly.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks all - the rear differential does have drain with 1/2" square socket. The front one does not have any drain in bottom. At least this one doesn't. I'm yanking the cover off and cleaning it out. Maybe I'll find the damn thing then. Then on to knuckles, wheel bearings, finish brakes, etc...fresh gas and it fired right up.

yamash

Reply to
Yamash

And be sure to use a good sealant like this:

PERMATEX® ULTRA BLUE® No Leak RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

to seal the differential cover after you scrape off all the old gasket material and clean it really well.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

There is no drain plug, you have to remove the cover to drain the diff.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III