Hissing Noise and P0442/P0455

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 116k miles.

When you turn the engine on you can hear a noticeable hissing sound. I seems to originate near the left rear wheel. I didn't get the chance to further locate the origin of the noise as I will have to get under the car for that and I only briefly looked at in the parking lot. It's where also the fuel door is.

Could that have to do with anything with the error codes I am reading P0442/P0455? P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak) P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

Found this:

a damaged hose and hence the hissing noise? Any help is greatly appreciated. Axel

Reply to
axel

man of machines

Update: Fixed.

I don't think the following answer I got was posted here: " If you remove the left rear wheel and the inner wheelwell splash shield, you'll be able to see a maze of hoses and valves that make up the ORVR and evap leak detection pump systems in that LR fender area.

There is a vacuum line that runs from the engine to that pump and it is common for it to split or crack over time, that is likely the hissing noise you hear. The codes you are getting are probably related, either due to that vacuum leak (the pump can't work properly) or another related line in that area is cracked or leaking. The pump assembly is mounted on a bracket there, so you need to loosen but not remove the bolts and swing it down to reach all the various hoses. If the bolts are rusted and can't be removed, you'll have to remove the rear bumper cover (fascia) to get at everything."

After removing the inner wheelwell splash shield I already saw the cracked hose. I didn't even have to mess with the pump bracket. Got 4ft of 1/4" hose at the parts store for $5.16 and a few new rivets ($6) for the splash shield (they all broke while taking it off), replaced the hose, put the splash shield back on, reset the engine codes and 2hrs later it is fixed.

Thanks for all your help. Axel

Reply to
axel