locker advice

I have a 97 Wrangler, lifted about 4 inches with 33x12.5x15 tires. It has

3.73 gears in a front dana 30 and rear dana 44. It is an almost daily driver. When I take it off-road, it is mostly mud with a few rocks every now and then. Both diffs are open. I would like to lock up both ends or at least the rear, but the situation I found myself in (deep muddy ruts) the other day, I could not get out of the ruts because of the open diff. The tire up against the rut wouldn't spin while the other side spun freely. Not a great situation. Ok, I digress, I would like to install lockers, of some sort, at the same time as re-gearing to 4.56 or 4.88. My questions are these:
  1. Will these diffs handle those gears?
  2. Any recommendations or opinions on the Detroit TrueTrac, Electrac, or Locker?
  3. I would like to stay away from friction additives and the Auburn limited slip sounds like a pain if you have to send it in for rebuild.

The article in the recent JP magazine is what swayed me towards the Detroit brand.

Also, how hard is it really to install new gears and lockers at the same time?

Thanks, Dennis

97 Wrangler
Reply to
Dennis Cox

Yep

Dunno. I run a Detroit and like it. But its no longer a daily driver either.

You are saving $ and time if you do both at the same time, since both require opening up the diff's and messing with the gears and stuff. How hard - I dont know, I went to a good R&P guy for mine. Just seemed like a good idea.

Reply to
jbjeep

For best traction in a daily driver, a locker (no-slip) is preferable to a limited slip like the TrueTrac. The one that gets the raves for durability is the Detroit Locker. It unlocks automatically when turning on high traction surfaces.

Does winter street driving involve snow where you live? If so, an auto locker may be unsuitable. It will stay locked on a slippery road and pull sideways to the ditch. Consider a manually selectable locker like an ARB air locker, Electrac or OX locker. Alternately go for a good limited slip like the TrueTrac.

If snow is not an issue, the Detroit Locker is good, but there are less expensive and easier to install 'lunch box' automatic lockers like EZ Locker or Powertrax/Lockright. These replace your side gears and spider gears using your existing carrier with no need to touch the ring & pinion.

If you do go for one that replaces the carrier, then it is wise to do your gears at the same time. Doing your own gears is possible, but you'll need to do alot of reading, invest in some special tools, and block off at least a day to get it done.

It ain't rocket science, but you do need a good grasp of how to measure and adjust pinion depth, backlash, and bearing preloads. It can take many time consuming cycles of tearing down and reassembling with different shim combinations to get all the variables within spec.

Steve

Dennis Cox wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I will second or third the snowy roads warning. They call lockers 'low side finders' and they have no manners in snow.

Other than that, here is a trick for you that dates from the first vehicles made. I have been 'stuck' on slush with an ice base and had 2 wheels merrily spinning away, one front and one back, so the boys are going for the straps....

Suddenly bang, I have all 4 tossing rooster tails and away I go! The boys are sitting there with jaws hanging....

If you hit the brakes while popping the clutch, you will load up the wheel spinning so the torque builds up high enough to break the 'stuck' wheel free and you have both tires spinning.

The owners manuals for 'both' of my Jeeps say you can load up the rear by putting the emergency brake on to get both moving, but that hasn't worked for me, using the brake pedal works quite well and if you get it just right, you can load up the front at the same time to get all 4 spinning.

The diff puts 'equal' torque to both wheels. The one free spinning needs almost 0 torque to spin, so the stuck wheel sees the same almost 0 torque. Use the brakes to raise the torque needed to spin the wheel, and the other side sees the same raise in torque. Get high enough, and the stopped wheel 'will' break free.

It takes a pile of practice, but it works well.

Mike

Dennis Cox wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

not much snow in Dallas, but we get slippery roads once a winter it seems like.

Thanks for the info.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Cox

I was driving my girlfriend's jeep on the beach here and it had open diffs, got stuck in some sugar sand with the wheels spinning like that. I remember reading in this group about that once and I tried it and it worked... got cool points with her too :)

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Yes. The 4.56s are supposedly the better choice because the pinion on the

4.88s gets really small.

Detroit Full Locker in the back. Pick your poison for the front. I have the Detroit EZLocker up front and it has never let me down.

The locker avoids the additives.

You would WANT to do the gears at the same time. There is no point in opening the diffs for the locker this week, then opening the diffs again next week for gears. Or the other way around. Be advised that you will probably be getting a new carrier for the gearing project because the new ring gear won't fit the current carrier.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

There you have it ladies and gentlemen, my suggestion that 4.88s were going to be weak is unfounded. I'll be the first to admit that I was repeating a rumor. I thought that if the rumor were true, then my giving the heads up would be a good thing. Since the rumor has turned out to be false, then the heads up is OK, but can be ignored.

PS I didn't know you were running 4.88s Jerry.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Real Jeeps came with 5.38s when gas was $0.22 per gallon, and the gas stations shaved the price to capture business from the station across the street.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III