5.0 cam question

I am building a 5.0 from some acquired parts ie: block, crank, rods, heads, pistons, manifolds, EFI etc. I am having the block honed, having the heads redone (stock), and will replace the pistons, bearings, timing set, and cam.

Since I don't intend to buy aftermarket heads, is there any upgrade over the original cam available either from Ford or the aftermarket? I want to keep the power band right where it is, but wouldn't mind a little extra steam as long as I'm going through the effort.

BTW, the block I was given is from a truck, although the rest is from a 1992 Mustang. Is there any difference in the blocks? Thanks.

John Del Wolcott, CT

"I'm just trying to get into heaven, I'm not running for Jesus!" Homer Simpson

(remove S for email reply)

Reply to
John Del

Check out the CompCams website as well as some of the other cam grinders...... I've spent many hours on the toll free hotline with the CompCams help desk and these guys are pretty good.... Your best bet is to talk to the guys that build 'em - be prepared with the approximate weight of the car, rear gear ratio, trans and convertor info and details on the rest of your motor. These guys want you to be happy with your cam selection and will bend over backwards.

I will qualify this by saying that their "off the shelf" recommendations have always been good - worked very well with our combination(s). Yet untried is a split grind roller cam for for a 440 stroked to 500 with too many changes to list (well.... more than I care to at the moment). After degreeing the cam, we found that it was exactly on spec......

Jim Warman

Thanks for the info Jim. I'll call around and see if any cams can offer any improvement using stock heads and intake (or if I should just pick up the Ford service replacement).

BTW, I just found out the block I am getting is from a 96 F150 (bad rod bearing). Is there any difference between a 96 truck block and a 92 Mustang

5.0?

John Del Wolcott, CT

"I'm just trying to get into heaven, I'm not running for Jesus!" Homer Simpson

(remove S for email reply)

Reply to
John Del

Hey John, In my 2wd Ranger, i used a roller-cam 5 liter block with stock heads. I used a Crane Cam kit #444226. It's a split-profile cam that favors the exhaust side since the stock heads suck on exhaust flow. I run 3.73 gears, long-tube headers, MSD ignition, Edelbrock intake and Holley 600 4bbl. The cam has a little bit of a lopey-sound, but it's nothing too outrageous. If you check out the spec card, the gross lift figures are actually specified in conjunction with a 1.7 rocker arm. If you use 1.6 rockers like i am the lift will be slightly less. The cam comes seperately, or as a kit i used that has replacement springs, retainers and keepers.

Any more ?'s feel free to ask. Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish