Engine Oil for "High Mileage" vehicles

What's everyone's take on these oils? are they worth the 50% more? Do the "conditioners" in them work?

Jason

Reply to
jasonp

They're marketing bullshit. Just change the oil, use whatever the mfr recommends and have the thing overhauled if it's shot. There is no silver bullet, and certainly no magic oil for an old timer, particularly a worn out pile of scrap.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I am not convinced. Just another way to get unsuspecting dudes to cough up a couple of extra bucks. Use a high quality motor oil (Valvoline, Pennz, etc) and call it good.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Jerry McG did pass the time by typing:

Actually I used some "Restore" on my old POS chevy that was sucking oil around several pistons. Acutally brought back power and kept it running fairly good for about five years. Then I sold it. Not to suggest using the stuff on a modern engine by my results were fairly good.

Needless to say it brings back power by cloging the rings with crap. But at the time I had money for a can, not an overhaul. :)

Reply to
DougW

I say the oil is of no importance. Just make sure you always buy a high quality filter. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
Drink