Engine Ping - '00 XJ

Full disclosure - they only had three 4412's in stock at Autozone so I put in the Champion 3034's which *are* platinum. Could be a Bosch issue although I've like them in my Fords. Also when I pulled them out I could tell they hadn't been torqued to spec but none of them looked bad. I greased the threads and torqued them to 25 ft/lbs - spec is 26-30 ft/lbs. - but it felt like I was there so I stopped. So far no more ping.

Reply to
Steve Landis

It is a Bosch issue. It almost seems they have the 'wrong' plug listed for those engines or the plugs are just too poorly made to handle the (lower?) voltage a Jeep coil has?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Incompatible, maybe. Poorly made, no.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Could be they have an incorrect heat range. It would be interesting to try a bosch plug in a range cooler and see if that solved the problem.

Reply to
DougW

tw Here's the follow up. Champions did the trick. Almost 3 months problem has not reoccurred.

Steve

twaldr> How long have you run the new Champions? Please let us know if it recurs. >

Steve

Thanks for following up. I wonder why Jeeps are rejecting these platinums....

tw

Steve wrote:

twaldron

Agreed, thanks for the follow up.

Every Jeep 'I' personally have seen with Bosch platinum plugs developed a miss. Well, that is why I am seeing them anyway.

Swap the plugs out for regular and no more miss.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Thanks for following up. I wonder why Jeeps are rejecting these > platinums....
Reply to
Mike Romain

I like the Motorcraft/Autolite for my Bronco. I know some of you like Champions. Have any of you used Motorcraft in your Jeeps?

tw

Mike Roma> Agreed, thanks for the follow up.

Reply to
twaldron

Looked at them then went with the Autolite because they looked to be better made.

Reply to
DougW

They work great in my Fords, and Chevys. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

How are the Autolites working for you?

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Working fine. I do use 3924 which is cooler than standard, but that is because of the supercharger. They would probably soot up on an unmodified engine.

Almost time for a new set, don't run them more than about 8000 miles and even then I could clean and regap them. Thing is it's cheap enough just to throw in a new set and I almost always break a plug on #1.. darn A/C compressor gets me every time. :(

Reply to
DougW

Thanks, Doug! Are you using anything on the threads to aid in removal?

tw

Reply to
twaldron

For my '04 TJ 6 cyl the OEM part is NGK ZFR5N. I'm at a bit over 45,000 miles and have replaced the originals with a second set. They work well for me. I never thought to replace them with anything else.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Yeah, I like NGK too.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

nope. It's not that they seize it's that the plug socket hits against the A/C compressor and if I'm not careful with the wobble adapter it puts a bit too much pressure on the plug.

I could probably use a better socket with more space inside. mebby a deep well 6 point.

Reply to
DougW

Ah, gotcha.

Reply to
twaldron

I have a sparkplug socket with the rubber insert that has a box end wrench fitting on it's end as well as the hole for the extension. It works great with a box end turning it for that #1.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:14:51 -0400 in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, Mike Romain wrote,

I ended up drilling and tapping one of those sockets and now it's semi-permanently mounted on the end of an extension with a set screw. I hate it when I have to reach down into the hole to try to pull the oily socket off the plug.

Reply to
David Harmon

It ain't just the Jeeps. When I worked for Chevy, we'd ditch the Bosch's every time.

Hell, where I work now, I just pulled a set out of a '57 T-Bird and replaced them with the proper Champions.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow