Wheel cleaning

Greetings. I just purchased a set of Aluminum wheels from a friend. They are from his 98 Sahara, stock rims. The ones with the five hole pattern. I will be putting them on my 95 Sahara. I think it's gunna look really nice! Anywho my question is, what is the best way to clean them. They have some very light corrosion on them, but their not that bad. Any recommendations as far as cleaners go or scrubbing pads to use. I don't want to make them worse than what they are! Hopefully I can bring them back to good condition. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

After washing with a sponge/rag and a mild detergent use a clay bar and then give them a coat of wax.

Most of the store bought "wheel cleaners" and scrub pads/brushes are too harsh for regular use and will damage the finish.

Reply to
billy ray

Will that remove any light corrosion?

Thanks.

Reply to
jerryg

Some cleaning with a clay bar info.

Jerry, you have e-mail

Reply to
billy ray

Can you post a good photo of the corrosion?

Kate

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
Kate

Aluminum corrosion, unlike what affects other metals, provides a protective coating. If you remove it, it is going to come back unless you take steps like waxing or some other kind of coating to prevent that. Have you ever noticed that aluminum parts get a little gray, and then stay that way? This is the protective and natural aluminum oxide coating that they get with age.

Now if the wheels in question are some kind of alloy that is not supposed to get gray, well that just goes to show you, that nothing is ever perfect. Maybe you want to leave well enough alone.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hi Kate, I don't know how to post pics to this forum?

Reply to
jerryg

Most either link to the photos or post them over in alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4.

This is a text only group.

Mike

Mike Romain

The last couple times I tried posting a pix on the 4x4 forum it did not go through, anyone else having that problem?

Reply to
billy ray

Hi Jerry, This group doesn't allow photos, try posting to something like Photo Bucket, WebShots or some other free hosting site. Then post a link :)

Kate

Hi Kate, I don't know how to post pics to this forum?

Reply to
Kate

Never tried.... Kate

Reply to