Error codes on Jeep Wrangler - Input needed

All,

I have been unable to start my 97' Jeep Wrangler for about two days now(it cranks but refuses to start).

After going thru the error code retrieval procedure, I got the following error codes on the dash:

  1. 11 No ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad Hall effect) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; OR loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Can cause the engine to stop working entirely with no limp-home mode.

  1. 12 Battery or computer recently disconnected

  2. 23* Incoming air temperature sensor may be bad

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should point the mechanic toward when I have the Jeep towed(what should I ask him to replace). Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Regards,

Reply to
hpuxadm

Crank position sensor failure is pretty common, though usually it's intermittent before it dies completely. I'd check that first.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt,

Thanks much for the quick reply! Just one more quick question. Considering what you stated in the above post, should I assume that if this is the problem, that it can be fixed via maint/adjustment, or is a complete part replacement needed?

Regards,

snipped-for-privacy@fuse.net

Reply to
hpuxadm

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

the CPS isn't all that expensive, and tehre really isn't an adjustment...either it works or not. And it's somewhat tricky to get to...I suggest replace it and be done with it.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

They get a bad connection on the plugs for the CPS easy. Lots of time you can just unplug the sensor above the rear of the exhaust manifold and plug it back in to get going. A good clean with a contact cleaner can do them wonders.

The other one is on the distributor. Same deal unplug and plug back, if it goes a good cleaning is in order.

Mike

hpuxadm wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

Got to agree with Mike on this. Remove, clean, and replace the crankshaft position and camshaft position sensor plugs before replacing things.

Piccies

are for the 4.0 I6 but parts is parts. :) If it wasn't for the code 11, I'd say check for spark.

Reply to
DougW

replace the cps 25.00 and it will run ok 95% sure. hard to replace, use 2 u joint extensions with socket . carefull, do not drop into hole in bell housing. usually a 30 minute job. it is on the left , near the top of the drivers side bell housing. john

Reply to
johnny

Just wondered if this was ever fixed. I'm tearing my heair out :) 95 YJ

2.5L Manual. Code 11 (Ignition) on computer. Engine cut off while running. No fire from coil. Relays and fuses appear to be OK. 7 volts on two wires coming into the coil with key on or off. Replaced computer, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, coil, dist cap and rotor. TIA
Reply to
JCraven

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'd double check the relays. I have a 94 XJ and I did all the same stuff you did. Mine was stalling all the time while driving down the road. It turned out to be either the fuel pump relay or the auto shut down relay. I replaced them both. If nothing else, you could swap them in the relay box and see what happens.

Rob

Reply to
themophead