'89 Jeep Wrangler won't start

Hi,

I recently came into posession of an '89 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L, 4 cyl. It sat untouched for almost 8 years and now it won't start.

I've changed the battery, plugs, distributor cap and cables, air and oil filters and the ignition coil. When I try to start the vehicle it cranks nicely but I don't appear to be getting any electric down from the starting coil assembly to the distributor. The starter assembly has a three-wire input and a one-wire input. I can see the 12v on one of the wires in the three-wire input.

I'm stumped. I've been thinking of replacing the rest of the ignition assembly (the unit that the ignition coil rests into) and/or the crankshaft sensor (not sure if this vehicle has one) and/or the ignition control module.

I'm new to this group and have just basic car maintenance experience. I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
pmfoglia

On an 89, the next thing i would do is to run a booster cable from the battery negative to the body, making sure I had a body contact. The body ground fails and then you can have your symptoms.

Mike

Mike Romain

A good test for ignition problems versus fuel problems, is a squirt of starter fluid in the intake while cranking. If it fires up for a second, then your problem is fuel.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

I had a similar problem... just make sure ALL electrical contacts are sanded and clean. I replaced the coil and it still wouldn't crank, but after cleaning the contacts it did.

Troy

Reply to
Troy