xj Dana 44

Can anyone tell me about the axle shafts in stock 87-90 Cherokee Rear Dana 44s? Are they 28 spline? Are they one piece axle shafts? I have a line on one to replace my D35 (anyone want a D35 with Detroit and 4.88 gears?) and I want to be sure I am getting a better axle.

Thanks,

Doug

Reply to
Doug Fritz

the D44 has 30 spline, 1-piece axle shafts. in a pinch (for a spare, etc.) you can use the short-side shaft in place of the long side- there's less than 1/2" difference between the length of the shafts, and it'll work well enough to get you home.

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

Is the long side really just too long to use in the short side?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

yup..it won't quite seat all the way. i was doing bearings a while ago, had the shafts on the wrong sides and bent the crap out of the retaining plate trying to get it to seat (long shaft on the short side).

:(

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

Thank you for this information. I am picking up the axle tomorrow. I look forward to removing the D35 once and for all.

Doug.

Reply to
Doug Fritz

Thanks Chuck, I will continue carrying just the short-side then. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford