Flushing brake lines

My neighbor and I flushed the brakes on his '96 XJ and My '02 WJ this afternoon.

In both our Jeeps when the lines were flushed clean we found small black floaters in the drained fluid.

On another note when we replaced the air filter in Ed's 4 liter XJ we found the inside of the throttle body to be caked with carbon or soot. What was the cause of that?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Could have been in the lines, but it could also have been in the container you were draining into....

Side effects of the crankcase vent system, probably...not unheard of on a

9-year old engine.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Two different clean containers were used. Both systems were flushed with Valvoline Synpower Synthetic Formula brake fluid

There were also some of these dark floaters in Ed's master cylinder when we drained it and they were a bit larger. We drained the reservoirs, refilled it with new fluid and bled the lines till they ran clear using the old method where one guy pumps the brake and watched the fluid level and the stupid one crawls under the Jeep and opens and closes the bleed valves.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Possibly, but as a physics major who refused to take the fluid dynamics class, and therefore skipped an opportunity to get an engineering minor, I can tell you that air flow in that area is terribly complicated, and those black bits could be anything.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The bits came from the brakes, the throttle body & plate was covered in carbon or soot. It came out with several dousing of GumOut and an old toothbrush.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That's why VW recommends flushing your bake system every two years. I've seen some that were neglected and it looked like tobacco spit!

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

The black stuff isn't as bad as the water that can accumulate. That is where your pitted cylinder walls and pistons come from.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

So what is / was the black stuff?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ouch....

Those black bits were piston cups or o-rings and whatever component they came from is going to fail fast. I would be paying close attention to the brake pedal feel for a while, especially when holding it down at stops....

Those bits often break off the guts of the MC when doing the 'old' bleed. (Garages 'love' people that do their own brake flushe$$$) If the pedal depresses way down as the bleeder is opened, it can force the piston cups past a rust or wear ridge which can and usually does take chunks out of old hardened o-rings or cups. The MC then usually fails soon after.

It isn't so bad on a new master because all the rings and such are still soft with no rust ridge.

Same thing for black bits can happen after a brake shoe or pad change. As the pistons are compressed, bits of ring can break off which will eventually cause a leak failure.

The black crap in the XJ's intake is CCV caused blowby starting usually. The CCV system is very touchy on those so when the tiny tube and 'metered' hole get a little gunk in them, the crankcase intake line starts to feed smoke into the top of the throttle body. It will get bad enough to start spitting oil onto the air filter in the corner too soon.

Here is a good link on that for him. I just used carb cleaner and a chunk of wire to clean my CCV tube and a paper clip does the metered hole in the grommet.

Mike

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Welcome back Mike,

The larger floaters were in the master cylinder when we siphoned it out before starting the flush. The procedure we used was that the master cylinder was siphoned, refilled with fresh fluid, and then "pumped" through. There were some tiny specks in the drained fluid but the larger ones (but still very small) we removed by siphoning beforehand.

I don't know if it is related but Ed's fluid reservoir was coated in a layer of ....slime (for lack of a better term)

Reply to
Billy Ray

He should be expecting to do a MC change soon.....

Oh, so I ran into some 'local yokels' up there camping and for sure they were the same ones with the asshole mouthy dog as when I/we were in the bush and these fools were likely jerking your chain for directions.

A bunch of years ago the government changed the name of the lakes we were on. The locals know them as Mink, where I was and Deer, where you was. If they saw your plates or you mentioned internet, they played dumb on you for sure because a week before some 'techno rave' happened with over a thousand people from all over central North America at that old airstrip. It was an internet link that brought everyone and the locals are seriously pissed about it.

The one gent I was talking to that owned the dog implied 'he' didn't play dumb on you because 'he' knows both names while giving someone else there a dirty stare.....

Mike

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I guess the particles in my system might be that then or worn off the cups when my brakes were done about 2 months ago. The mechanic pushed back the piston but when the caliper wouldn't fit over the rotor he forced them back all the way by means of a huge pair of water pump pliers.

There isn't any oil in Ed's air filter just the gunk in the throttle body around the choke plate just like we used to get back in the old carburetor days.

I checked mine last evening and I had a lighter coating of gunk around the choke plate that was also quickly cleaned with a dose of GumOut and the attention of an old toothbrush.

On the Ed-mobile in the past couple weeks or so we have flushed the brakes, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the air and oil filters, changed the oil, replaced the CPS, and replaced the cap and rotor that was broken during inspection.

I did not see the cap and rotor but Ed sent me an e-mail this morning because I had mentioned the cap/rotor in an off-hand way last night.

"?.and I was thinking about your question re how was my rotor condition?..actually it was black even though I broke it in removing? As important , although the cap was still usable, all contacts were pitted/encrusted ? so this may have contributed to the carbon situation in throttle body?. see you?Ed"

The radiator is probably next on our hit parade.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Did you get the idea that those folks were living there and not just camping?

They were well prepared in their tent city and had a couple cords of firewood and were still cutting more on that 88 degree day when I spoke to them. They were nice enough but I had the feeling I get when I am at my 2nd cousins up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula that the locals "just weren't right."

I don't recall mentioning the internet and I'm not the type to listen to "techno-wave" Actually, I could not tell you what "techno-wave" is is... I think I would classify it as "hippy music" or perhaps "dope crazed hippie music"

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
FrankW

"Channel Locks" is a brand name and only an ignorant SOB who doesn't know anything about "the industry" would call them that . Channel Locks, water pump pliers, or pipe pliers. I've heard all used about equally. The ones in my toolbox are Channel Lock brand. (My adjustable open end wrenches are Crescent brand)

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

What about these?

ps: My water pump/front end/Channel Locks are labeled Craftsman as are my Adjustable open end wrenches but..... my Vise Grips are labeled Husky

Billy Ray