Followup-- 2000 JGC V-8 still overheating

I posted this several weeks ago, and got a lot of thoughtful replies. No remedy yet, this is just an update.

Last week, I drove home from vacation, a 500 mile trip. I noticed repeatedly that the temp at 65 mph would be in the 205-210 range, but five minutes after I go up to 75 mph, the temp would increase to around 225. I did this test over and over, and got the same results.

Someone suggested that to check the (new) thermostat, to take the pressure cap off when the engine is cold, start the engine, and see if there is water flow (I assume there should be flow after the thermostat opens up). I did this test, while the outside temp is 72 degrees. From the first engine start, I saw no water flow. None.

I let the engine run for 45 minutes. The gauge went to 205 and stayed there. At no time did I see a water flow, even after 45 minutes of running at idle. I put my finger in the water and it was **warm** but not at all hot. Just warm. It never got hot.

Should I have seen water flow after the temp went to 205, and the engine ran for 45 mins ??

Any further comments will be appreciated.

--James--

-------------------------------

This is a V-8, 120 K miles. It usually runs around 200-210

degrees. During last six months or so, it will go up the 235 degrees when > traveling over 70 mph. It will also do this when going up a medium > incline, even at very slow speed. > > It stays 100% normal at slow speeds, and at idle, such as at a traffic > light. > > Fan clutch was replaced fairly recently, that DID relate to heating some > at idle. > > I am thinking either I need radiator work or a new radiator OR that I > may have a bad thermostat. I suppose I could also have a defective > water pump at high speeds, but that wouldn't explain why it overheats on > medium inclines even at slow speeds. > > BTW, some folks may say 235 degrees is normal under some circumstances. I > can assure you that this is NOT normal, as I have driven this car for six > years and I know how it performs. > > What is most likely culprit? Themostat/Water Pump/Radiator > > If it is radiator, is it worth it to have it re-rodded, or is it best just > to install a new radiator? > > As a non-mechanic, are these any tests I can do to narrow it down more? > (Water pump does not leak). > > > Thanks for any tips !!! > > --James--
Reply to
James

Did you touch the radiator at different spots/corners to see if it was getting hot at all? Upper radiator hose getting hot?

Might be a partially clogged radiator and the area where you touched with your finger is part of the clogged area where the coolant possibly stays cooler. I would assume that if the water pump was not functioning then that engine should overheat just idling.

Just a theory. later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The place where I was touching was in the water itself. I took the pressure cap off for the test. The water is just under the cap.

--James--

Reply to
James

I would be thinking that the thermostat that is supposed to open at 195 has serious issues.

You should have burned your finger in 205 coolant. Water boils just slightly hotter than that....

Mike

Mike Romain

Yes, Mike, I agree with your comments. My mechanic put in a new thermostat just several months ago. I wonder if it was installed backwards. Could that be ?

--James--

Reply to
James

Or just plain a bad one.... That happens. I think yours must be opening 'some' or you would get a boil over.

Mike

Mike Romain

I fully disagree here. He can keep chasing monkeys but I am pretty sure it is one of three problems. THe first that the core is blocked externally with dirt and bugs limiting air flow through it. The second is the clutch fan is bad because contray to popular belief ram air will not always cool engine especaily when a big V8 is packed in a small compartment. Some seem to think that they never good bad but the thermostatic coil on them ages and when it does it retards the operation of the fan. (I have posted instruction on how to adjust the clutch fan in my forum) When it is 220 or so the fan should be a humping. The thrid is the core is blocked internally which can happen if proper coolant quality is not maintained. I would check it in that order or you can just keep chasing the monkey around and never catch it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

SnoMan, I had the fan clutch replaced about four months ago. Yes, I know it could be defective, but talk about chasing monkeys, I am not quite ready to put another clutch in. You posted a very good article on adjusting the fan, but my mechanic indicates that for the labor involved, he would only go with another new fan. I am not ready for it, as I see that as doubtful.

When you say the "core" could be blocked, exactly what part do you mean ? Are you speaking of the radioator itself ? I am thinking more and more that it is the radiator. Perhaps you mean the radiator core, huh?

Can a flow test be done without removing the radiator?

--James--

Reply to
James

First when the engine overheats is the clutch fan engaging? Next on the blocked core it could be that the external part where air flows through is blocked with dirt or bugs or the fins are badly smashed blocking airflow. Internally, you might find a shop to flow test it in car but not too likely. Feel core of raditor (if possible) and see if it is evenly heating up. I still stand by my 3 suggestions. because the symptoms match it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

If something was indeed blocked, he would get boiling fluid pouring out the open radiator cap in the test. He has cool non moving fluid only with the inside gauge reading above the temp an open thermostat would be working at.

He could have no real problems with the rad and a wonky sender for the gauge.

Mike

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Could you be sticking his finger in the wrong area? Had to ask!! You keep saying 'water' and not 'coolant'. This is the radiator cap right?

I have known people that add coolant to the engine through the oil cap or into the washer bottle.

I had to ask since it is hard to believe that your pressure cap allowed you to take it off safely and the coolant was only warm AFTER you have been running the engine for awhile getting it up to normal operating temperature. ODD!!!

You still did not answer my question about the temperature of the radiator measured at different spots like all four corners!!! You might have an extended neck on the radiator which might cause that coolant there to not move around much. Touch the outside of the radiator in the corners AFTER the engine is at normal operating temperature.

This sounds a little unbelievable to me!!

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

But Mike, how would the faulty sender know when I am doing 75mph rather than 65 mph ???

It is normal temp at 65, and 15-25 degrees hotter at 75. I doubt a faulty sensor would act that way.....

Reply to
James

Yes, I took the cap off after the car sat overnight. I ran it for a total of 45 minutes. Yes, I put my finger in the COOLANT, and yes it was warm but no where near hot. The gauge temp was about 205, even after 45 mins no hotter , and no detectable flow. I assume the coolant in the nec (where the cap goes) would be gurggling or bubbling, etc if there was flow. The coolant was even, and not disturbed.

I have not checked the spots on the four corners, as you cannot get to it.

--james--

Reply to
James

I have no way to know this. I can't look at it or hear it at 75 mph.

--------------------

First when the engine overheats is the clutch fan engaging?

Reply to
James

Thanks Bill. The thermostat was bought from NAPA, and specified for this vehicle. 4.7 engine.

Reply to
James

As I said in the other group, it could be defective, but it just sounds to me like my experience with a stock radiator that was a little too small for the engine.

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

Dan, if the "stock" radiator in this Jeep is just a bit too small for this engine, why do you think it never overheated in the first 125,000 miles ?????

Surely, you are not suggesting that the radiator shrunk a bit during this time................................. are you ???

Respectfully, I don't quite see your logic..........

--james--

Reply to
James

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

IF the clutch fan started to engage at 65 or 75, you would know it unless you have a very loud stereo or exhaust system. Many years ago I had a over heating problem with a old Jeep truck in the winter plowing snow but only when transporting, not when plowing. . It turned out the between the cold air temps preventing thermostatci clutch fan from engaging (it is based on air temp coming thru core not coolant temp) and disrupted flow of air from plow at speed the truck would start to slow cook and get pretty hot. The cure was a more agressive clutch fan setting. Not say this is for sure your problem but when you stuff a big engine in a little compartment you can have cooling issues sometimes because ram air does not always cut it. If you get guage hot and stop and idle does clutch fan engage then?

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan