Followup-- 2000 JGC V-8 still overheating

I am a big beleiver is properly designed cooling systems. Lot of newer vehicals come with marginal cooling systems to reduce production cost and that cannot cope with higher engine outputs for sustained periods of times because they have less reserve. If I had a vehical that heated on a long climb I would fix it via either improved fan clutch a bigger radiator or both. I am one of these old fashsion guys that beleive a truck or 4x4 should be able to keep its cool no matter what. While I have not been happy with my 2000 K3500 in some ways because of a lot of warranty issue., none of them have been about drivabilty or cooling. Once a towed a 8K trailer when it was 95 plus out with A/C on full chill blowing snowflake in cab and it never even got close to 210 even on long highway hills with that load and even stopped in traffic too. Why, because that is one thing GM got right on it. It has a big raditor and a massive 10 blade clutch fan with agressive timing that keeps it cool no matter what. Even my old 89 burb has NEVER been above

210 in its life and it has seen 0ver 105 degrees and in 2003 it was climbing through Mesa Verade when it was in high 90's at low speed with heavy load and full A/C. Vehicle only run hot when the cooling system is not up to the job, not because they have too. Good cooling with stable temps equal longer drive train life.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The problem is the loss of fins due to road salt 'and' a marginal system.

In the Cherokee is is so marginal that a second fan is needed if you have AC. Ours doesn't but I just got a parts machine that has 'more' but not all of the fins on the rad and it and the second fan I am going to move over.

My CJ7, well...., I have too much stuff out front, a winch and Hella lights and need a V8 3 core rad instead of the 'marginal' stock 2 core one. When I can't fix that rad anymore, (have snapped it in half twice) I will go with the bigger one, otherwise I keep the speed down below 75 mph on hot days...

Mike

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I belive that's what I said. Your vehicleS are an exception, because they are maintained. 99% of vehicles on the road are NOT properly maintined.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

How many of those people change thier diff lube, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, ect on time?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I don't know where you get your information but I know plenty of people who take their vehicles in for 3000 mile oil changes and whatever it says in the owner's manual or what their favorite mechanic can sell them on. I would agree with "most" but "99%" seems like an exaggeration. There are systems and parts that are designed to last the normal life of the vehicle too. The radiator is one of them. Living near the ocean, overheating the engine, not replacing hoses and putting strange mixtures of coolants can shorten this considerably.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

hmmm I always wondered what the factory means when they claim something is "LIFETIME" lol The vehicles I repair come from the factory saying that the fluids in the transaxles (both auto and manual), cooling system are all lifetime fluids. AFAIK They can even get away with oil changes every 2 years or 15,000 kms, but not in the USA.

I would say only a few people change their brake fluid every 2 years though, and I don't know any of them Some people don't even read their owner's manuals to know what they need to do! 8^) They have to trust their repair shops which usually repair problems and usually aren't focusing on maintenance. ;-(

You are right........most people don't "maintain" their vehicles on time not even me! ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I don't either.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
The Merg

He's a grade A moron. Every 50,000 miles for a street vehicle, 10,000 if you wheel, and every time you get water in there.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I wonder if the factory even knows when they say "LIFETIME"! lol I guess it means it will last until you need to replace it! ;-)

His JGC is already 6-7 years old and anything can go bad. Things just need to make sense..................and the $64,000 question is..........WHY???????????? :-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

6 cyl Cherokees seem to suffer this problem more. Part of the reason is the shoe horn fit from factory of a long inline 6 in a vehicle that was not originally designed for it. My wife has a 4 cyl Cherokee and it never even thinks about loossing its cool. Granted it has less power but it also has room for a bigger and more efficent clutch fan and a effective shroud too. If you plan on keeping it for a while I would strongly suggest a custom raditor with a thicker core for it. You may even be able to get you current "tanks" recored.

I would agree with atleast a 3 core here but you might also consider installing a flex fan in place of clutch fan in warmer month. It will add a bit more noise but it will keep your engine cooler in any senerio because it will maintain positive air flow at all time. YOu could also consider this for your Cherokee to because if you did on that you could even scrap the extra electric fan with its air flow blockage.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

To them "lifetime" is service life of maybe 3 to 5 years after which they want you to buy a new vehicle.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I am talking about people who do whatever the dealer or mechanic tells them is good for the car. There seem to be a lot more than you think. It's all in the back of the owner's manual. Now I agree that there shops where they know what is good for your vehicle better than the manufacturer, but how do they know that?

As "dave AKA vwdoc1" points out, some manufacturers are advocating insanely long oil change intervals now. As one of my neighbors recently found out, this is only good for decreasing the service life of the engine.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The trouble with a flex fan is if you hit mud or deep water its going EVERYWHERE and probably going to damage the fan.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Ours is a totally rotted rust bucket with plywood floors that we are only keeping going until I find some money for a better one. Got the parts machine for a hundred bucks that came with the rad and windshield I need. Going to strip it for good parts and dump it.

I was originally going to swap engines and use the parts machine, but both vehicles need complete clutch systems which just isn't worth buying for them. For that money, I can get another runner. My son just picked up a 94 Dodge Caravan in 'mint' shape that passed emissions and cert for $330.00. Well he needed two running light bulbs and a wiper arm...

Cherokee has a new clutch fan and I think the extra electric will do for now with a toggle switch or maybe I can get the thermostat parts to swap over and work.

The CJ7 has the 4 bladed fixed fan, no clutch there, it just roars all the time. A fan shroud also might be in order, it didn't come with one.

Mike

Mike Romain

COnsider a aftermarket flex fan because it will move more air at lower RPMs and feather out a bit at higher speed limiting air flow and noise and a stock fixed fan does neither. I have a old J20 with a clutch fan but when I used to work it hard towing horse trailers in summer heat to trail ride year ago I removed clutch fan and installed a big clutch fan in its place. Yes it was noisy at times but temp gage never moved even towing in hot weather and it ran better too because it kept underhood temps lower as well from increased airflow at all times and the cab a bit cooler too (it has no A/C) because things where a bit cooler up front including firewall. .

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Never seen it happen. The worst that might happen is you might throw a belt. Mud has to get through raditor and shroud to get to fan (water is not a problem) and if that much mud gets through raditor then it is toast and you will not be running long regardless of fan type.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

It does look good on the sales hype sheet though because they use it to somewhat justify higher prices with lower maintainance costs offsetting them some over time. Most buy into it blindly.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The problem with a clutch or flex fan is I off road a lot. When crossing 40" or so of water, a flex fan would likely take out my rad. I have this monster 7 bladed thing sitting out in the garage.

I never have low speed issues with the CJ7, only high speed.

I/we also kill the clutch fans 'really' fast. The slightest bit of mud gets in them and turns to liquid sandpaper destroying the seal. We are on the 3rd clutch fan on the XJ. The parts seem to 'just' survive the warranty period.

Mike

Mike Romain

I used tohave a problem with salt and moisture getting down into the bearings on the motor of my salt spreader by wearing away the seal located on top of motor mounted on the bottom of a mounting plate. I went out and got several o-rings to stack on the shaft between top of plate the shaft passes through and impeller an apply water proof grease to it and the shaft and where it passes through plate . Since then I have had no more problems. The point of this it possibly you could make a slinger shield of some kind that would keep mud away from hub seal area that you could clamp on. Food for thought anyway.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan