Found Front TJ Rubicon Rattle

After changing U-Joints and many lifts and checks for worn shocks, exhaust, motor mounts all else under the front. I found the rattle~~~ one bolt missing from skid plate under driver seat side. The plate did not seem to move but I guess trans torque and bumps made this seem to come from the right front. All is silent now I hit the plate with a 2x4 and could not make it rattle. Word of advise check skid plates when strange rattles occur. Don

Reply to
Don Hamilton

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reminds me of a buzzing noise that was in the ZJ. I looked around. Checked every darn thing I could think of. Then discovered it was a snap on a jacket I had laying on the floor.

heh. >_<

Reply to
DougW

Back in the seventies we found an extra long screen door type spring, and stretched it across the back of the seat in the wrecker at the garage where I worked. At 55 mph it made the most fearsome rattle that they may still be trying to figure out.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Old Crow

While working at a GM dealer back in the early 80's a friend of mine tracked an illusive "thunking" sound to a large hex nut suspended inside the passenger door on a piece of wire! Someone was having a bad day at that assembly plant!

Reply to
Highcountry

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

If my cell phone charger and my wallet are in the glove box on my 00 XJ, it makes the worst squeak in the world.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Highcountry proclaimed:

The above folklore was more commonly rendered as someone being driven nuts by a rattle from their megapriced Italian exotic, only to finally have it traced down to a tobacco can with a ball bearing and a note inside: "So, you finally found it you rich capitalist pig" after having essentially ripped the body apart.

Reply to
Lon

That's the wallet opening and closing...wrap a rubber band around it.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '74 XLH chopper(gone but not forgotten) BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Had an old body style s-10 Blazer come in one time with a rattle in the door. Had about $90 worth of change in the door pocket. Took the door panel off and about $15 had found it's way through a crack in the panel into the bottom of the door. He bought *my* lunch that day.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '74 XLH chopper(gone but not forgotten) BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Had a rear rattle for months that finally turned out to be a worn out lower bushing on one of the rear shocks. Many people looked for that rattle until I noticed it while it was hanging wheels down in an oil change. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes