Front Turn Signal Quirks?

I had replaced my stock front turn signals (86 CJ7)with new OEM ones about a month ago.

They work fine as tutrn signals when the lights are OFF, but when the headlights are ON the turn signal lights are ON as well, but DO NOT funtion as turn signals.

One odd thing during install is, as I tested them they only worked when the mounting screws were in contact with metal.

Does this me a bad ground...how do I remedy?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jack-Jack

The signals ground via the bolts. The running lights ground via the wiring harness. That kinda sounds like the harness ground is off. If the bolts are not touching, the signals will usually steal ground from the running lights which is the other way around. The harness ground is near the end of the harness.

Mike

Jack-Jack wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Where doe that harness plug in so I can find that ground?

Reply to
Jack-Jack

If I remember correctly it is on the end of the harness near the passenger side headlight and running light bolted into the back of the grill or on the fender end. Just follow the harness as it passes the running lights and look for a short black wire that isn't hooked up.

Mike

Jack-Jack wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Passenger side ground is in place an connected...drivers side has 2 grounds, on that runs to the headlight is connected fine there is another (2nd ground) that is taped off as was a red w/white stripe wire. Still no change in turn signal status

Reply to
Jack-Jack

I'd suggest giving it the once-over with a multimeter... something's obviously amiss.

J.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Break them loose, maybe hit them with a wire brush, and reassemble. You can always run a ground to the battery.

Also, the ground braids and other body grounds tend to rot and corrode over time. I had to run a ground from my stereo to amp to frame to body and battery to remove a very annoying whine from my large car. It would come and go with bumps. Quiet until I bumped then noisy until the next bump...

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

What are the rear ones doing?

I am looking at the schematic and it implies the running light ground is through the rear marker lights using the white wire. I would be checking the end of the harness in the rear for a ground not attached. I am trying to remember mine, I rewired it back in 2000 and I only grounded the fixture in the front if I remember right. The rear is the harness ground.

Or if that one is hooked up too, then I would be suspecting the body itself has lost the ground. That is a mesh cable from the top of the engine head to the firewall on the 258.

Mike

Jack-Jack wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain