02 Cherokee Shock bolt

A rear upper shock bolt broke off while trying to remove it. I have a feeling the second bolt will do the same thing . What is the best way to fix this? Do I drill out the piece of the bolt in the frame and try to use an extractor or drill out the entire bolt and retap? Also is using an air drill any better than a regular electric drill? Thanks

02 Sport 4L 92 K
Reply to
DanFXR

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Dan, All 4 upper bolts twisted-off on my rear shock project. I was lucky and centered the drill on two of them. One good thing about the soft bolts - they drill relatively easily. (Why did Jeep scrimp pennies on something that certainly will need to be wrenched?) It is my recollection that as I drilled, the remaining pieces of the bolts came out on their own - although I may have tapped some with a small pointed punch.

For the two which I drilled poorly, I tried two methods: The better of the two was to slightly increase the diameter of the hole so that the bolt slid freely into it. Then, I slipped a lock washer and nut on top of the shock mount/weldment and tightend the bolt. That worked well and has held tight for several months.

What I had done with the one on the other side was a bit more labor-intensive. I rolled-back the carpet as far as I needed, using a small drill, I made a pilot hole through the floor. Then I used a (Dremel-type) hand grinder to cut a hole large enough for a socket wrench, opposite the bolt's location. I put the nut and washer on from the inside of the car. Next, I patched where I'd been grinding with a small square cut from the adhesive-backed end of a roofing shingle, before putting the carpet, etc. back in place. Good luck.

Jim

Oh yeah - I used hardened bolts. I used a regular handyman's 3/8" drill.

Reply to
Jim

This happened to me as well. Here's the best fix I found:

http://www.rocklizardfabricati> A rear upper shock bolt broke off while trying to remove it. I have a

Reply to
KByington

This happened to me as well. Here's the best fix I found:

http://www.rocklizardfabricati> A rear upper shock bolt broke off while trying to remove it. I have a

Reply to
KByington

Reply to