Fuel tank identification

I've got an 83 CJ with a YJ tub and I'm not sure if the tank is from the wrangler or the CJ. I need a new fuel sending unit. Are these sending units identical? If not, how can I tell what tank I have?? Thanks! Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5

The CJ fills from the right corner, the YJ fills from the left.

Reply to
CRWLR

You also need to make sure of the size. My CJ has a YJ body and the 20 gal factory CJ tank.

Reply to
Dan Ferrell

I wasn't aware that the CJs had a 20 gallon metal factory tank. Did these come with certain models I take it (Golden Eagle etc). Is there a way to determine the diff by just looking at it? Thanks! Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5

It's a plastic 20 gallon that sits in a metal shell or pan (all sides except the top). They are great tanks, but rob ground clearance.

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

They only rob ground clearance the first few times, then they don't hold 20 gallons anymore. :-)

Reply to
CRWLR