Fusible link rating

Does anyone know the rating of the fusible link in the alternator-to-positive terminal battery wire? Would it be unwise to remove this link and replace with straight 4-gauge wire? FSM indicates a fusible link but no rating. It's insulated in green and looks like the diameter of a

6- or 8-gauge wire.

--

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Please don't do that. If something shorts out, the fusible link is there to proteect the rest of the wiring. I have seen mods where the fusible link is replaced with an inline fuse, but to do that you would need the amperage rating of the original link. Some vehicles have the amperage rating is printed right on the link.

Chris

Gotcha. There were no markings on the link that I could see. I had to replace the wire to the alternator because the alternator end had melted off during heavy winching, and the remaining wire was too short. I undid the splice between the link and the old wire and just spliced the new wire to the link. Had to replace the alternator as well, got a Mean Green. I would assume a fuse or fusible link rated at the max output of the alternator would provide sufficient protection, any reason not to agree?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The red alternator wire is 10 gauge and is protected by a 14 gauge fuse link.

Normally a fuse link is 2 sizes smaller than the circuit it protects.

The fat size is just soft rubber insulation that won't melt like plastic when the link gets hot.

You can buy fuse link wire in bulk to replace one if needed. Be aware that you have to use crimp connectors on the ends and it needs to be the same length as the stock one or about 8" long. Solder will ruin the thermal properties of the link.

If you replace a fuse link with regular wire or with heavier wire, you will cause a fire to start when whatever blew the first link goes nuts again.

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain