Add-ons for 2000 Wrangler Sport

My girlfriend has a 2000 Wrangler Sport with the 4.0 and she has recently graduated from UMass and I wanted to get her something for her Jeep. Its completely stock and she has never taken it off road (I did and got it stuck and she wasn't too happy with me, but its her fault for not getting the locking differential option) anyways...I think she'd prefer something that "looks cool" instead of something thats practical. I was thinking about installing some driving lights, not fog lights because she never goes off road and I'm pretty sure fog lights are illegal on public roads.

Are there any driving light kits or other street legal light kits out there that you would recommend? I was looking to spend around $100 or so but I'm not sure how much I'll get for that.

Are there any other mods that you guys would recommend instead of or in addition to a light kit? Like I said, she's not an off-roader so a winch or similar mod would be useless.

Thanks for the help,

Reply to
Dave Earle

If she is not an offroader why would she buy a jeep?

"Dave Earle"

Reply to
dick

Reply to
twaldron

My vote is for those spinner wheel covers you can get at Wal Mart. Stylin'!

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Even though for lights are definitely *not* illegal on the road, skip the lights, she doesn't need them. If your GF likes to go topless, consider getting here some nice neoprene seat covers so she doesn't have to worry about the seats getting waterlogged if/when it gets rained on with the top down. Much more sensible and functional than some bling-bling lights.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Just becaue one buys an $80,000 Viper doesn't mean they have to drive it

200MPH or take it to the track. They can just cruise around town and enjoy what it is they're driving. Just because she owns a Jeep doesn't mean she is required to drive it through mud on a daily basis. She's not brave enough to take it off-road by herself, that's why she has me. On the plus side though, she did buy it with a manual transmission.

Now that that's out of the way, does anybody have any serious suggestions or is fuzzy dize the best I'm going to get here?

Reply to
Dave Earle

Fuzzy Dice? ;-)

Reply to
Bob

Get a quadratec catalog -- lots of stuff for Wranglers.

Sleestak

Reply to
twaldron

Please post a link to pics. :-)

No offense intended, just couldn't resist...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

if i had money to burn on something cosmetic i would get one of the chrome grill inserts, i like how they look -nicole

Reply to
Nicole Mason

If she does a lot of highway driving then halogen driving lights are a real nice addition. They can be wired to come on with the high beams and legally that is how they have to be wired unless you cover them for off road use only. They can be switched or automatic turn on with high beams.

Fog lights are 'really, REALLY' nice to have if you are on the east coast. They have to be wired so they only come on with low beams and you aim them like low beams so you can drive with them on all the time. Yellow/amber is the best color for fog penetration.

Thirty dollars or so will get you some half decent no name at the local auto store type lights. They work, but you 'do' get what you pay for.

I have Hella lights on and love them.

Mike

Dave Earle wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, Not picking on you here. Yellow Hella's are the way to go for foglights,but... Fog lights that *can't* be turned on without turning the headlights on are a useless styling trick. The whole point for a foglights is to have lights mounted down low that have a flat, wide horizontal beam pattern with a sharp vertical cutoff such that the light does not reflect back off the fog into the drivers eyes. If you can only turn them on when the headlights are on (even the low beams) you *will* have the glare of the headlights in your eyes, negating the benefit from the fogs.

Many cars are manufactured this way (incorrectly), and some states even have laws against running on-road with just fogs on, even though that is how they should be used, and here's the important part: *if it is very foggy*. I

f it is not foggy, they will actually *reduce* your vision by brightly illuminating the foreground close to the car, reducing your eye's ability to see the less bright areas illuminated by the headlights farther away from the car. It is humorous to see all of the goof-balls driving around with their fog-lights blazing in perfectly clear weather just because they came on the car and they can turn them on. Can you say poser?

Here's some good automotive lighting info for anyone that cares:

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

I totally agree Fred, but.....

The law is there for a reason. A properly set up fog light will work best for the 'driver' with no other lights turned on except maybe running lights.

Here is the But....

The oncoming traffic cannot see the fogs in time to miss hitting you. Therefore you need the low beams on as well.

The low beams do penetrate the fog farther with the backward glare as a bad side effect.

The fogs still do their job for up close visibility despite the low beams.

I agree on the poser comment too, I was meaning it was legal to have them on all the time, not that one should do that.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Properly adjusted fog lamps will reduce or eliminate the reflected glare of the low beams, that is why they are required to be used in conjunction with the low beams.

If fog lights worked best as a stand alone lighting system, then the regulations that cover them would be such that the low beams would be switched off if the fog lamps were switched on. Fog lamps are considered auxiliary lighting for a reason.

Reply to
CRWLR

That is just not correct. There is NO way that fogs can reduce or eliminate the reflected glare from low beam headlights. In really heavy fog, the light from low beam headlights is reflected right back into the driver's eyes, regardless of whether or not the fogs are on or off.

In really heavy fog, I slow down and use fog lights with the parking lights on - low beam headlights off.

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You are looking to get killed sir.

Fogs sure do eliminate some of the glare by focusing your eyes lower. Same deal when you see oncoming cars, you look to the low beams on your vehicle, not up into the oncoming glare.

Oncoming vehicles 'cannot' see you with only your fogs on in time to avoid hitting you.

I grew up on the North East coast of North America and really know what 'pea soup' fog is.

Mike

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well, Mike. I *still* live in the Northeast coastal area of North America and I disagree with your analysis. Yes, running in dense fog with fog lights and headlights simultaneously is better than the headlights alone, but no, it is not better than running with just foglights if you want to see where you are going.

There is no way in the world that turning on additional light will reduce the headlight backdazzle that occurs off fog. That just does not make sense. Your analogy to oncoming traffic is flawed in that the light reflected by fog is (nearly) omnidirectional.

The reasoning behind the laws may be what you say, ie. that it is harder for other drivers to see you without the headlights on, but the idea they would ram into you is facetious since the kind of fog that you really need foglights for is thick enough that you (and they) should have slowed to a near crawl anyway. Though I've lived most of my years here, I seldom see that kind of conditions

But that is not how fog lights are generally used by the motoring public in the US anyway. They are used most often during clear weather under the misguided notion that since the foreground is illuminated better, the driver believes they can also see farther ahead. They are wrong. They see less for the very reason you mentioned above.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.