Gas mileage

Hey Guys, How much gas mileage does a 4 cyl. Jeep get? My 97 XJ with 30in tires only gets about 17-18 mpg....thanks....

Reply to
motorhead

Sounds about right.

My I6 ZJ gets 15-20 depending on how I baby it and you have about the same brick-on-wheels aerodynamics.

I did find that STP Gas Treatment helps a bit. Ran it to help clean out injectors/etc and got a few extra mpg on the highway.

Chevron Techron is also a very good additive to clean out injectors and give a bit of a mpg bonus.

Of course you have to figure out the cost benefit.

Reply to
DougW

As much as I like my '97 TJ SE, the 4 banger auto gets maybe 13 MPG. I have 235/75R15 tires on it.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Have you ever replaced the O2 sensor? They do drift over time and cause the engine to run rich. Thing is that small drift doesn't cause a fault and you can only actually see it with a scope or the high buck scantool.

I also ran across the concept that the battery can be a MPG drain if it can't hold a proper charge. Makes sense if you think about the alternator drag trying to maintain a weak battery.

with gas prices the way they are, every fraction helps. :/

Reply to
DougW

Sounds about right. Mine gets 15-16 MPG with 31s and the hardtop on.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I'm getting 23-25 but I live in the mountains and hardly ever go over 60 except when going downhill. I also have a cat-back, electric radiator fan and Turbo City Rock-It! air tube. I believe the speed thing is key. 55-60 mph, max. Well sometimes I can't help myself. One time I had it going 85 and passed a CJ-7. If you really want better mileage put 205/75R15 tires on it, or put low profile tires on stock rims. Even with 4.11 gears I think my

4.0 cylindre YJ is geared a little too high, even for highway use.

There are some performance goodies for the 2.5 litre engine, and in my experience they help mileage a lot more than power, but that's what you want now, right? A cat-back is probably a good start.

Cheers,

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks for your responses... I think I didn't make myself clear. My Cherokee has the 4.0 liter 6cyl. I was hopeing a 4cyl Wrangler got better mileage so I would have a good excuse to get me one. You would think it would? Maybe cause it takes more power to run? The 4 cyl has to work harder than the 6 would? Still doesn't seam right . What is the purpose of making a 4 cyl then? ..Oh, yeah, money....

Reply to
motorhead

Off road they do really well stock, because of the 4.11 gears. I am getting

23-25 mpg, but that Turbo City stuff cost a few hundred dollars. One of the posters with a 4 cyl. has an automatic, don't forget that. In Europe, where they have had high fuel prices "forever" you never see an automatic unless it is in a Mercedes or a Rolls. Even the taxis have stick shift.

You are not going to realize a fuel savings going from a Cherokee to a Wrangler, because let's face it the aerodynamics of the Wrangler are even worse than the Cherokee. The purpose of making a 4 cylinder was to make the vehicle cheaper and to pass some of that savings on to the customer. I had a neighbor once with a two door four cylinder Cherokee. Now that's a pretty good combination. But you can't take the top off.

Cheers,

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

Honestly, I don't know why every Wrangler didn't come with the 4.0L. Wranglers are aerodynamic bricks, and from what I've read here the 4.0 often gets *better* mileage than the 2.5 because it doesn't have to work as hard pushing it through the air at interstate speeds.

On mine, I have to downshift out of 5th for even slight hills on the interstate. It's less of a problem since I installed a 4.0 throttle body, and I did see a slight 1-2 MPG increase, but it's still no 4.0.

Reply to
Garth Almgren