**Gas Smell**

Alright here it is...... I have a 91 YJ w/ 4.0L manual and 166,--- miles on it. It has it's problems. The biggest one right now is a horrible gas smell. That the best i can describe it...I can't figure out what it is.

I can only smell it with the window (s) open. All of em or just one doesen't matter. Gets bad/worse when i back off the throttle.

It doesen't consume or burn oil. The only thing i can see wrong that might be related is the oil pan gasket is leaking...

Can't take it anymore, if i can't figure it out i will have to take it to dealership.

Idea's anyone? Any input would be greatly appreciated....

-Brian

Reply to
Brian

Charcoal cannister?

Reply to
Zorin Inc.

Fuel injector o rings go bad on this motor all the time. Its hot over the exhaust manifold and the fuel evaporates quick. find it before you have a carbeque. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Kevin in San Diego did pass the time by typing:

^^^^^^^^ ^_^ that made me spew coffee all over the monitor.

FWIW, when you do the O-rings it takes 12 of them, NAPA has them. A little oil helps them get seated. What ever you do, don't loose the injector clips, Jeep thinks they are made of gold. And only tighten the bolts that hold the rail to the intake manifold to just snug. Don't crank on them or you will strip them out.

Depending on how old the injectors are it might be worthwhile to take them to a local diesel place that can clean and test injectors. Fairly cheap and makes sure they come back squeeky clean.

Reply to
DougW

Thanx all :-)

I will fix shortly.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian

I would look under the rear passenger wheel well closely for a smell leak there. There is this roll over check valve thing on the charcoal canister or gas tank vent line that gets rotten lines to it as they get old. It is pretty common for them to leak there.

Mike

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain