Get real milerage on a 97 Jeep Wrangler

I just got a '97 Jeep Wrangler and I suspect that the milerage counter (it's digital on this model) has been cheated. It marks 58000 kilometers (yeah metric system) but I think the car has about 140000 kilometers.

There is anyway to find out the real milerage? I was thinking if the injection system computer is storing the real value in any record or log so with the proper cable connected to the ODB-II conector and a program get the real value. Is this possible???

Thank you in advance, Fidelio

Reply to
Fidelio

Ooops I already post this.

So the question is just if the programs reading from ODB-II connector was that information.

Thank you, Fidelio

P.D.: Sorry about doble posting within a couple of months

"Fidelio" escribió en el mensaje news:dg8jjd$33d$ snipped-for-privacy@caladan.landsraad.net...

Reply to
Fidelio

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Do you have carfax where you are? If not maybe you can find a dealer who has worked on it in the past and a pattern might show up. Can/will your licensing authority give you past owners names?

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

No, you can not obtain the mileage from the OBD II connector.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hmm it is Europe and I'm not sure what kind of info I will get from CardFax since the car only was on Germany and now in Spain. So I don't want to pay Cardfax for nothing.

Related to owners names... in Europe is very dificult to get personal information since the laws agains that are very strong I don't know how is the law at the States but at EU is very very restrictive.

Thank you anyway.

"Jo Bo" escribió en el mensaje news:TWVVe.34113$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...

Reply to
Fidelio

Really? I saw at Autotap (a USB OBD-II reader) a parameter saying "Odometer" but what I have is only the manual of the program so I don't know if the information is retreived or not.

Thank you,

"Jeff Strickland" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net...

Reply to
Fidelio

Instrument Panel Description and Operation Section 8Js - Pages 18 & 19

Envíeme una e-dirección válida en mi dirección abajo (Quite el SPAM) y enviaré la información adicional. Espero que este le ayude.

ODOMETER

DESCRIPTION

An odometer and trip odometer are standard

equipment in all instrument clusters. The odometer

and trip odometer information are displayed in a

common electronic Vacuum-Fluorescent Display

(VFD), which is visible through a small window cutout

centered on the lower edge of the speedometer

gauge dial face. However, the odometer and trip

odometer information are not displayed simultaneously.

The trip odometer reset switch on the

instrument cluster circuit board toggles the display

between odometer and trip odometer modes by

depressing the odometer/trip odometer switch knob

that extends through the lower edge of the cluster

lens, just right of the speedometer. Both the odometer

and the trip odometer information is stored in the

instrument cluster memory.

The odometer can display values up to 999,999

kilometers (999,999 miles). The odometer latches at

these values, and will not roll over to zero. The trip

odometer can display values up to 999.9 kilometers

(999.9 miles) before it rolls over to zero. The odometer

display does not have a decimal point and will

not show values less than a full unit (kilometer or

mile), the trip odometer display does have a decimal

point and will show tenths of a unit (kilometer or

mile). The unit of measure for the odometer and trip

odometer display is not shown in the VFD. The unit

of measure for the instrument cluster odometer/trip

odometer is selected at the time that it is manufactured,

and cannot be changed. During daylight hours

(exterior lamps Off) the VFD is illuminated at full

brightness for clear visibility. At night (exterior

lamps are On) the VFD lighting level is adjusted

with the other cluster illumination lamps using the

panel lamps dimmer input from the left (lighting)

multi-function switch. The VFD, the trip odometer

switch, and the trip odometer switch button are serviced

as a unit with the instrument cluster housing,

which includes the electronic circuit board and the

rear housing cover. The trip odometer switch knob is

available for separate service replacement.

OPERATION

The odometer and trip odometer give an indication

to the vehicle operator of the distance the vehicle has

traveled. This gauge is controlled by the instrument

cluster circuit board based upon the cluster programming

and electronic messages received by the cluster

from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the

Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data

bus. The odometer and trip odometer information is

displayed by the instrument cluster Vacuum-Fluorescent

Display (VFD), and the VFD will not display

odometer or trip odometer information after the ignition

switch is turned to the Off position. The instrument

cluster circuitry controls the VFD and provides

the following features:

² Odometer/Trip Odometer Display Toggling -

Actuating the trip odometer reset switch momentarily

with the ignition switch in the On position will

toggle the VFD between the odometer and trip odometer

display. Each time the ignition switch is turned

to the On position the VFD will automatically return

to the mode (odometer or trip odometer) last displayed

when the ignition switch was turned to the

Off position.

² Trip Odometer Reset - When the trip odometer

reset switch is pressed and held for longer than

about two seconds, the trip odometer will reset to

000.0 kilometers (miles). The VFD must be displaying

the trip odometer information in order for the

trip odometer information to be reset.

² Message Failure - If the cluster fails to receive

a distance message during normal operation, it will

hold and display the last data received until the ignition

switch is turned to the Off position. If the cluster

does not receive a distance message within one

second after the ignition switch is turned to the On

position, it will display the last distance message

stored in the cluster memory. If the cluster is unable

to display distance information due to an error internal

to the cluster, the VFD display will be blank.

² Actuator Test - Each time the cluster is put

through the actuator test, the VFD will display all of

each number (0 through 9) in steps to confirm the

functionality of the VFD and the cluster circuitry.

The PCM continually monitors the vehicle speed

sensor, then sends the proper distance messages to

the instrument cluster. For further diagnosis of the

odometer/trip odometer or the instrument cluster circuitry

that controls these functions, (Refer to 8 -

ELECTRICAL/INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - DIAGNOSIS

AND TESTING). For proper diagnosis of the

vehicle speed sensor, the PCM, the PCI data bus, or

the message inputs to the instrument cluster that

control the odometer/trip odometer, a DRBIIIt scan

tool and the appropriate diagnostic information are

required.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Complete and clear information. Thank you.

"Billy Ray" escribió en el mensaje news:1b166$4329840a$d8449845$ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET...

Reply to
Fidelio

I know Ford and GM's computers record the actual mileage.> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

tim bur

Didn't you say you worked in a dealer?

If so, you would know that SRI mileage has nothing to do with the actual mileage on the vehicle, especially knowing the PCM allows you to change it using the DRB.

I doubt they would put that ability in the hands of any knucklehead with access to a DRB.

> I know Ford and GM's computers record the actual mileage.>> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O>> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

bllsht

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III