Grease inside 78 CJ7 brake drum

Hello, I recently took both my rear brake drums off to inspect the parts. I noticed that the brake parts under one of the drums were filled with grease. My question is where did the grease come from? axle? Did i bust a bearing or seal of some sort? What parts do i need to replace? thanks!

Reply to
1978CJDon

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Is it grease or is it dirty oil?

If it is gear oil full of dirt, then I would suspect the seals, if it is actually grease, then I would be worried about a bearing that had overheated melting out all it's grease. If it was the bearing, you should see some play in the axle with the weight off I would think.

When mine leaked gear oil, it would actually run down the inside of the tire. If you park on a slope and oil pours out, you have found a bad seal.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain