GW HEadliner

Has anyone ever found a trick or fix for the sagging Grand Wagoneer headliners? They bag down on cold moist mornings, and *sort of* tighten back up again when dry. I do not know how they were originally fastened to the cabin ceiling, but whatever method was used, it doesn't last. I've had this "sagging skirt" issue with all of my Wagoneers.

Reply to
randallbrink

Being too lazy to take the whole interior apart, I fixed mine with a package of those little "push pin" things that you can get at an auto parts store. They're really no different from the push pins you might see on a cork bulletin board. If you lay the out in an even pattern, they look okay and you eventually forget they're there.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

No real way to fix them apart from gluing on a new headliner. Iv'e got a few cardboard wedges reinforced with coathanger/welding wire. :) Redneck right down to my boots type of repair.

Thought about what would happen if when it was tight (usually when temp is high) with a bit of clear coat or starch. Might try that later since it's impossible to f*ck it up anymore than it is. :)

Reply to
DougW

The headliner in the MJ is a lot shorter than yours, but it still sagged enough to get into the line of vision when I got it. I finally replaced the whole thing but in the meantime I used a spray can of contact cement. The can came with a pipe for the nozzle so I just poked it through the material, sprayed it all around trying to get most of it on the solid top instead of soaking the cloth. At this point, it is sagging, so let it set

5-10 minutes then press it into place. The newer vehicles have a foam sheet between the solid form and the cloth. That foam dries and crumbles and ain't nothing going to re-glue that stuff. The spray contact cement I used was one of the water-based ones which didn't smell for months when hot .
Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

A good idea. I will try that as I search for a source for a headliner replacement.

Reply to
randallbrink

Thanks for this. I will order the replacement.

Reply to
randallbrink