Happy Birthday to Me

The sky was dark The clouds were grey She said "Let's go 4 wheeling To celebrate your day"

I thought that a grand idea And thus began to load The Magnificent-7 For some touring on Burrell's Ford Road

Sandwiches and sodas In a chest to keep them cool "We'll have some fun While the girls are at school"

A rockin' and rollin' And slidin' along Some slick muddy trails Not too far from home

A picnic by the creek And to my great surprise She'd brought a tiny birthday cake It was just the right size

Then I heard a great rumbling And I knew right away I'd have to make like a bear In the woods on this, my day

And so I found the potty trail Like many more before me And there I found the perfect spot To squat and hug a tree

More wheeling! Said I Let's see what adventures await Down past the old homeplace I hope there's no gate!

New tires - with tread! Made for low speed fun Went much better than those drag slicks Which for too long I had run

And more altitude, too I'd had for two weeks To make enough room For those gnarly new meats

And there on that fine trail Was the test I'd been thinking Would make or break this day Were we swimming or were we sinking?

It was ooey and gooey A sloppy rutted out mess It was long and steep And went ?round a curve, no less

Slow in 4?low we'll go As far as we can Which wasn't too far Let's hit it again

"More wheel speed!" Said I, "To clean out the tires" But at the same spot We once again mired

Twas a well placed rock Right there in the rut That prevented forward motion And it gnawed at my gut

Sure, I could winch it And explore further on But I'll not give up, yet Not til my gas is all gone!

So I hit it again More revs! Another gear! Sawtooth the fronts! Lock up the rear!

Again and again I tried different lines I tried different angles I was caught in a bind

And then on try six Or maybe seven or eight I crested the rock With the front, but wait

Will the back end follow? Or will it face defeat? Of course it will go- For just a few more feet

But the battle's not over Here's another tough spot But I'm here to give it Everything that I've got

And soon we were past it And we traveled afar Soon Donna released the white knuckled grip She had on the grab bar!

What a great memory This day's already become And we still have dinner plans With my dad and my mom.

Mark Carroll March 5, 2004.

Reply to
TrailMarker

L.W.(ßill)

Happy Birthday!

That's a good one...

Mike

TrailMarker wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Nice job Mark... although I was expecting a different ending:

my luck had run out along with my gas when I turned to my wife for a great piece of... birthday cake.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to