Help! Electrical problem. '98 XJ dead in parking lot

I stopped at a shop on my way home from work. When I went to re-start the Jeep (4.0), the engine did not turn over and the car made a quiet buzzing noise (from within the dash?) which slowly died away - as if something was dis-charging. Then all power failed. I raised the hood, and wiggled all of the "fuses" in the power control box and the power returned - even the headlights would shine. But when I tried again to re-start the engine, it would not turn over, and everything electrical would immediately cut-out, until the process was repeated. Maybe it was just from leaving it to momentarily build power, again.

The car was outside all weekend while we were camping, and the battery never faltered when I left the site, nor when I left from work this evening. We're supposed to get more snow, tonight, so I need to move it, soon.

Suggestions, please?

Thanks

Jim Grand Rapids, MI

Reply to
Jjsegr

Jjsegr did pass the time by typing:

First check for a loose battery connection and check the electrolyte in the battery.

Your batter might have lost a cell and that will cause all sorts of problems.

However, since you jiggled the power center I'm also tending toward a failed ASD relay. If it dies or fails your vehicle will not start.

Reply to
DougW

You are describing a loose r really corroded main power cable. Likely right at the battery.

Mike

Jjsegr wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The cables are clean and tight. I returned 3 hours later & it repeated the same behavior. The lamps burned bright when the power would flow. It does have its original ('98) battery, though....

A few minutes later, it started as if nothing was wrong. Driving home, the ammeter read just above 14v, as usual.

I just finished shoveling that snow, so now I'll go check the battery's fluid level, clean the terminals and cables. i'll also keep the ASD relay in mind. Thanks, guys, for the replies.

Reply to
Jjsegr

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

See the other comments on battery cables.

I have a pers> The cables are clean and tight. I returned 3 hours later & it repeated the

Reply to
Roy J

The headlights get direct power from the battery.

If you follow the smaller red battery cable, it stops at a bolt. The headlight power comes from this bolt through a fuse link wire.

No headlights and no power intermittently means a loose or dirty main cable. Nothing else can cause that that I am aware of.

Mike

Jjsegr wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
mic canic

Just to close this out, the battery terminals and cables had the dark deposit as described in one of the postings. Since cleaning, it hasn't failed again. My thanks to all.

Jim

Reply to
Jjsegr