Please help - need quick answer for intermittent '96 Maxima starting problem

I have a AGGRAVATING intermittent starting problem and I'll bet someone here remembers how to fix it. It's for my '96 Maxima 3.0L V6. When it is cold - it starts right up. When it is warm, you turn the key, you hear a click inside the dash somewhere but the starter will not even engage, like it would if you tried to start the car while the auto gearshift was not in park. ( I don't think it is the little switch on the gearshift lever that only allows starting while in park.)

It is not a dead battery or bad battery connections.

I have read about a bad ECCS relay that causes this problem. But the two relay boxes I found under my hood, none of them say ECCS! One of the boxes has a EGI relay, and I have found two ECCS fuses, but no ECCS relay. And I swapped the EGI relay with one of the other relays that is the exact same part and the problem is still occurring.

Where is my ECCS relay? Where is my ECCS for that matter, I cannot even find that!

PLEASE help me fix this, my car is stranded at a gas station!

snipped-for-privacy@hxxmail.com

Reply to
evans62

Oh by the way I see 3 relays in the fuse box underneath the steering column. Is one of these 3 relays the ECCS relay? And where is the ECCS?

Reply to
evans62

Sounds like a bad ignition switch to me. Costs 30 bucks and takes 15 mins to replace - just have to remove the plastic shrouds around the steering column.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Kneel down, Hotwire the starter solenoid from batt +12 pole, instant startup, problem bypass (other than starter/solenoid). See page below.

Hotwire the ign sw, instant startup & diag method.

On my 3gen max Engine Cont is for ECU ... [4.] inhibit relay ... Where and what, follow top left 'Favorite links'

Wiikinki

I'm betting on the starter. That's how they let you know it's time to replace.

Reply to
Monte

Monte - I actually take back what I said about the ignition switch. I re-read the original post and noticed that he always gets a "click" even when the car doesn't turn over. If the ignition switch was bad, he would most likely hear nothing - not even that ignition relay click he is hearing. A quick test would be to check the voltage at the starter harness when trying to start the car.

Given that "click", I would tend to agree with you - that it's likely the starter. Next time the car doesn't want to start, give the starter a whack with a piece of wood and try again - if that works, then it's most likely the starter.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Click -only- in the cabin, silence in the starter:

- Accessory relays get pwr first, disconnect as they should at key start pos

- intermittent contanct losst to starter Solenoid (wiring?), inhibit relay or connectors

- Starter Solenoid coil semi broken, costs 20$

Reply to
Wiikinki