highway rear axle hopping

I'm sure this has happened to others--a 1993 Jeep Cherokee 5 speed with standard tires/wheels--while crossing bridge expansion joints or moderate broken pavement at 50mph or faster, the rear axle starts jumping up and down uncontrollably. The only way to stop it is to slow down below 35 mph. It feels like it starts in the right rear wheel, then quickly involves the whole axle. No visible spring damage, tires in good shape (and this happens at various tire pressures), new shock absorbers (a fix that didn't work). Got any ideas?

Reply to
GRMatteson

Replace the new shock absorbers. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

If it wasn't coming from the back I'd say deathwobble...

Do you have the anti sway bar removed or has one of the U clamps broken where it bolts up to the frame?

The initial cause is often tire balance. Rotate the tires and see if the problem moves or just take them in and have them balanced.

-- DougW

Reply to
DougW

A bad shock absorber can also cause this, but the tire balance is also a good thing to check.

Chris

I agree with Doug. My CJ-7 had loose U-Bolts and the entire axle used to move back and forth. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it until my friend put the Jeep up on a lift and found the U-Bolts were lose. He tightened them up and the problem was gone. It's worth a look, and it costs nothing.

Reply to
Anthony T

Thanks, I am on my way to the mechanic's now, and will put it on the lift and look. Gary

Reply to
GRMatteson
Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks alot! Your post will cost me another hundred rebuttals, just like you bleeding heart liberals, cost our troop's lives, every time you advocate to cut and run! God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Usenet, Billie, usenet.

This is usenet.

You never fought in a war, your father never fought in a war, your wife, son and daughter have never fought in a war; you're not fighting one now.

You have totally lost the ability to discern between fantasy and reality.

I guess all that's left for you is to choose which door you want to exit through, and do you want to do it with or with out the foaming mouth.

Sad Billie.

Reply to
Pink Freud

Leave it to Bill to think his private little flame war is nearly as important as Iraq.

Bill, I'm sure you have this hanging on your wall, please review:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You are an example of the worthless bleeding heart liberal whacko limps, too stupid to recognize the correlation between the withdraw of funds/backing and terrorism. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Then back the people that take the time to report these trolls and support our stations in Iraq for the next twenty, thirty years!!!!!!! God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I bought another ISP. I'm not a coward like you hiding at: snipped-for-privacy@nospamplease.com God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Well, could you maybe explain it to the rest of us who don't get it?

Thanks.

Well, actually, you bought (rented) a domain name as a tiny little subdomain of an ISP.

If you did buy an ISP, you'd be selling internet connections.

Are you, how's the NNTP retention and what are you charging for a standard cable-connect?

JMS

Reply to
James-Michael Starling

Well I suppose I'm just renting

, too. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Well, that doesn't really say that much.

Could you maybe explain it more thoroughly to the rest of us who just don't get it?

Thanks.

And who knows what else, huh?

JMS

Reply to
James-Michael Starling

Have you reported them? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

And you did remove the air from the new shocks before installing them?

oil

Reply to
Odd-Inge Larsen