Hood lift question

Greetings: I'm the new owner of a used 1999 GC LTD. I took it home yesterday, opened the hood and couldn't find a way for it to stay open! There is no prop rod. Thinking maybe it had a detent in the lift mechanism, I pushed it a bit past where I probably should have and one of the lift shocks (driver's side) came out of it's ball socket. No big deal as it popped right back in, but I'll be darned if I can figure how to hold it up! What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Reply to
DP

It's not a shock, it's a gas strut. The strut is what holds up the hood.

Your gas strut is dead, they don't last too well. I wind up replacing the ones on my lift gate about once every four years.

They aren't cheap either. :/

Reply to
DougW

I completely agree with DougW, especially with the "four years" and the "ain't cheap". I finally came up with a more permanent, less expensive, and more versatile solution. And it's on sale at West Marine for $20.29. Click Here:

It's an aluminum twist lock telescoping boat hook (36" to 7') that can be used, not only for a lift gate, but for a hood as well (not to mention, as a boat hook! .... and it floats!)

I wouldn't be caught near the water (or the woods) without one. HeBeJeepN '99 XJ Sport, Selec-Trac, Trac-Lok

Reply to
HeBeJeepN

Excellent! I just checked my local West Marine and they have the 36" one on sale for $8.70! Thanks!

Reply to
DP

Thanks for the info. I went back to the dealer and he's going to order me two new ones at cost. In the mean time, I'm going to get one of those boat hooks!

Reply to
DP

Hood lift cylinder MONROE Part # 901382 $12.22 at rockauto.com Replace in pairs. Couple day delivery most of the time

Reply to