TJ steerig geometry

I have lifted my TJ about 5" using (r u ready 4 this?) OME springs, DT shocks, RE lower control arms in the front, JKS QD's, Teraflex rear sway bar links, Procomp steering damper and an SYE. No alignment yet as I want to get everything squared away underneath first. Now, here's my issue. The lower ball joint (drag link - tie rod) is very close to the track bar bracket on the passenger side axle. I'm concerned that it is too close and will possibly rub or damage something during off-roading. So, yesterday I picked up a drop pitman arm and installed it. :( This caused what I'm guessing is called bump steer. At low speed when turning the wheel, something is really bound up under there and is just not right. Driving straight it is fine. So, my plan was to remove the drop pitman arm and go back to stock, but I would like to know if I"m gonna be fine with this setup. The adjustable track bar I have is only adjustable on the ball joint end. It does not have a drag link in it. You have to remove it to adjust it. I understand this type of track bar and a drop pitman arm may be causing the bump steer.

Any recommendations or ideas?

Thanks as always for your help.

FWIW, I would not recommend Rocky Road Outfitters 4" TJ Trailblazer lift kit. It is billed as all you need to lift your Wrangler, but it is not all you need - as you can tell from my parts list.

Bob Supplee in Oklahoma was fantastic to work with however. Great price and fast shipping (at least to Texas).

Dennis

97 Wrangler
Reply to
Dennis Cox

DOH!!!!!! After installing the drop pitman arm yesterday, my kids were playing in the cab. They managed to pull the transfer case shifter into 4 high. That was the source of my troubles when turning at slow speed. Duh! I've reinstalled the drop arm, but need to wait a bit to test drive it.

At least I'm learning how to use my wrenches, sockets, and pitman arm puller. Now if I just grew some large arm muscles so I could torque that pitman nut 200 pounds. :(

Thanks,

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Your lady friends will tell you that you can compensate for having smaller arms with a longer pole :-)

Dave Milne