Grinding while turning the Crank question. Need help please

1992 Silverado, 4.3L Was driving home and the bearings on the tensioner pulley broke and the pulley and belt both blew off. I coasted to the exit and into a gas station. Opened the hood and saw the pulley and belt missing. Truck was not yet overheated, thank goodness. I replaced the pulley and belt and started right up but the grinding and rattling noise was there as if something was banging around inside the engine. There is no water in the oil so it does not appear to be a head gasket. I removed the belt and turned the water pump, and no noise there. I checked alternator and there was a bit aof grinding but nothing major. I then got to the cranks( I think that is what they are) and the right side made no noise as I turned it, but the left one was grinding and rattling when I turned it by hand. What does this mean? By the way the enging has 220,000 miles on it. I am hoping someone can help me figure out what the gringind is. Piston, rod, wahtever?

Thanks Aaron

Reply to
aaron.solinger

It's not a "crank" it is some rotating accessory. you need to figure out what it is and replace/repair it. P/S pump, A/C compressor, AIR pump, something like that?

nate

Reply to
N8N

The engine has one crankshaft. If you turned it well enough by hand to hear grinding and rattling then you have a very bright future in personal security.

It sounds like you are confusing the crankshaft pulley for some other pulley. Take the belt back off and start the engine. Is the noise present? If yes then you have an internal problem but I'm guessing it won't be which tells you that some accessory is causing the problem. Give us a better description or a link to a picture of what is making the noise and someone can tell you what it is.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I started it without the belt and the noise (grinding and rattling) we still there. The lower left pulley on the passenger side is the pulley making the racket when I turn it by hand. It is below the Compressor and to the left of the water pump. I have no idea what could be causing the racket. I hope it is something that can be fixed or replaced fairly easily.

Reply to
aaron.solinger

You are saying these two pulleys move with no belt on them when the engine runs and with no belt the noise is there also when the engine runs?

I can't get my brain around those conflicting statements, sorry.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I started it without the belt and the noise (grinding and rattling) we
Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, When the belt is on or or off when I turn the truck on, the noise is still there and none of the pulleys or anything are turning? Sounds like something is rattling around in there. Any thoughts?

Aar> You are saying these two pulleys move with no belt on them when the

Reply to
aaron.solinger

When the belt is on or or off when I turn the truck on, the noise is still there and none of the pulleys or anything are turning? Sounds like something is rattling around in there. Any thoughts?

You stated that the grinding noise is coming from a gadget while it is being driven by the fan belt, and that the noise comes from that same gadget when it is motionless, with no fan belt driving it.

The only explanation possible is a poltergeist in that gadget; a spirit that makes disturbing noises to annoy people. The proof is that the poltergeist has now changed from making a grinding noise to a rattling noise.

A more accurate description of the noise and the conditions under which it occurs (and does not occur) would help to point toward a solution. The title of your post was "Grinding while turning the crank" but your later post indicated it was grinding after starting. Which is it? More info, please.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Okay, I will try and get some better details. The grinding and clanking (as if something is banging around inside the engine) nosie occurs when the belt is on or off and the truck is on. I can turn the lower left (passenger side) pulley by hand and I can hear it grinding and clanking,but none of the other pulleys make noise when I turn them. The truck does drive, but there is a burning smell and is very noisy. I replaced the tensioner pulley and the belt and it starts without a problem but I am affraid that something has broken off in the engine somewhere. Does this help at all?

Aar> wrote:

Reply to
aaron.solinger

Noise inside the engine like you describe is always bad new$.

I use an automotive stethoscope to try and narrow the noises down, but the engine usually has to be torn down, either from the top down or bottom up depending on exactly where the noise is.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

No. You need to find out what the things are that you are turning. They are not "cranks." Get the Haynes manual and look at the belt diagrams and it should show what they are. Once you know what they are, you know what to do about them.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Wait a minute... is the belt you are turning by any chance... the timing belt?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

This vehicle has 266k on it right? If you have internal engine noise and that kind of mileage it might be time to start looking for a replacement vehicle. Have a competent mechanic check it out first to see what has failed though. Unfortunately no one on the internet can hear the noise so the best we can do is guess.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Wait a minute... is the belt you are turning by any chance... the timing belt? __________________________________________

Probably not, because he says the engine runs with the belt off. He still hears the grind/rattle coming from the "thingie" whether it's being driven by the belt or it's just sitting disconnected.

Nothing will help him except having a friend tell him the names of common engine accessories so he can post again with more information. That may still not be enough because he can't bring himself to provide a lucid description of the conditions under which the noise occurs. Maybe he could get the friend to post a description of the problem.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

If you have the same noise with the belt OFF the engine then it isn't a simple repair. It is either the timing chain or bottom end damage.

The timing chain and sprockets are not a real hard item to repair, just takes some time. If it is bearing/crank related you need to decide if the truck is in good shape except for the engine. If the body is OK and the trans and the rest are OK you might want to look at having a crate engine installed.

Reply to
Steve W.

Congratulations... Another satisfied GM customer!!

Reply to
HLS