How do you store your hard top?

I am looking at all of this stuff on the web and my owner's manual says store it flat on the floor.

Is anyone using the vertical cart system? Any other suggestions? Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for it, we may just leave it up there like a pinata...

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I have a large shelf on one side of my 2-car garage that is 58" high. I remove the rear seat, back the Jeep up to the shelf, then get inside the rear and lift the hard top with my back up onto the shelf. Pretty impressive for an old fart like me.

It stays on the shelf from about April 15th to November 15th.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Our landlord stores his on the ground under a tree in our parking lot. Makes a great place for my dog to poop in inclement weather.

Seahag

"Kate" wrote:

Reply to
Seahag

I have a couple of long saw horses about the same height. In the winter, I put canoes and a ladder on them.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Here's what I use...

Scott

Reply to
reconair

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

That IS pretty impressive Tom! It was about all we could do to get it off and now it is sitting up in the shop right in the way!

I don't have a place in the garage where I can build a shelf and hubs it not wanting to give it a permanent home in the shop. He says he doesn't want it to get hurt up there. I think it's because it's the last place he has around here that he can call his own and he doesn't want me moving in with my Jeep stuff LOL

Kate

: > Is anyone using the vertical cart system? : > Any other suggestions? : > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for it, : we : > may just leave it up there like a pinata... : >

: > Kate : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

LMAO! Oh crap! That was funny!

: > Is anyone using the vertical cart system? : > Any other suggestions? : > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack : > system for it, we : > may just leave it up there like a pinata... : >

: > Kate : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

THAT is very much like what hubs has in mind only he is thinking a rail system. We went to Memphis yesterday and got an electric hoist.

: > Is anyone using the vertical cart system? : > Any other suggestions? : > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for it, : > we : > may just leave it up there like a pinata... : >

: > Kate : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

Thanks Bill! Lots of good ideas there. I would like to store it in a way that the mud dobbers can't get to it and a verticle rack on rollers sounds ideal to me. I was just concerned about warpage. Of course thh owner's manual says to only store it flat, but then it will be hanging where I will bang my head on it and I can't cover it up there. If I put it on a vertical rack with rollers then I can store all the other stuff with it too, put a good zipper cover on it and it will stay nice and clean.

Geeze... all this property and not a damn place to put a hard tip.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I could go buy one of those nice wooden sheds just for Jeep stuff.

: > I am looking at all of this stuff on the web and my owner's manual says : > store it flat on the floor. : >

: > Is anyone using the vertical cart system? : > Any other suggestions? : > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for it, we : > may just leave it up there like a pinata... : >

: > Kate

Reply to
Kate

Here is a link to a couple photos of how we store our top. Took it off yesterday (yayyyyyyyy, snows gone). I get on one side, son gets on the other and we just lift it off the Jeep and set it on this rack for storage. They aren't that heavy, just awkward. I'll cover it with a tarp for the summer. One photo shows the inside of the rack has a small block at the back edge, this keeps the top resting on the mounting flange instead of the bottom (fragile?) edge. Cost about $15 or $20 to make. All 2x3's and 1x3's. Maybe use pressure treated where it sits on the ground. Hope this helps.

Les

Reply to
Les

Wow! I am surprised that you store it outside. I guess it's something I just never consdered. Though just now thinking of it, I could never do that. We get too many high winds out here, it would turn into a kite in no time.

Thanks for the photos Les, looks like a good design

Kate

1x3's. : Maybe use pressure treated where it sits on the ground. Hope this helps. : :
:
: Les : : : : > : Kate wrote: : > : >

: > : > I am looking at all of this stuff on the web and my owner's manual : > says : > : > store it flat on the floor. : > : >

: > : > Is anyone using the vertical cart system? : > : > Any other suggestions? : > : > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for : > it, : > we : > : > may just leave it up there like a pinata... : > : >

: > : > Kate : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

Where the top sits on those blocks might cause a problem with the weight being concentrated. Running a beam down the entire length would spread the load.

Reply to
billy ray

Ahem......'scuse me??? _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Geeze... all this property and not a damn place to put a hard tip. >

Reply to
twaldron

WHAT???!!!!!

hey... what's THIS? .(look down here ?) I need to go look at this methinks. "twaldron" wrote

: Ahem......'scuse me??? : _____________________________________________________________________ : 2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco : : "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'." : : Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940 : : Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') : A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton : capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. : _____________________________________________________________________ : : Kate wrote: : : > Geeze... all this property and not a damn place to put a hard tip. : >

: > Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply to
Kate

For my TJ, I rigged a pulley/rack system to hoist the hardtop up in the garage and store it out of the way. My garage ceiling is tall enough to park the Jeep under it.

I saw the vertical rack storage in a catalog for the wifey's hardtop, but couldn't justify the $$$ for some steel tubing and four wheels. So I made my own rack with 2x4's and casters, probably $40 invested total. Seems to work just fine.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Thanks Matt.. that's what we were kind of thinking. Hubs could fabricate something for me without all the $$$. I have some questions though. Do you have any trouble with warpage? How hard is it to wrestle the top onto the storage rack? Glass up, or down? Any photos?

: > Is anyone using the vertical cart system? : > Any other suggestions? : > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for it, : > we : > may just leave it up there like a pinata... : >

: > Kate : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

The TJ hardtop I can do myself. The rack I built uses perforated steel (like what you'd use to mount a garage door opener) making two frames attached on either side of the top. The top hoists between the steel frames, and I use

2x4's across the frames to support the top.

send me a good email addy and I will shoot you a pic, but the hard top isn't up there now.

The vertical rack for Linda's TJL ins't here, it's in a storage facility. Glass down on that one. It's kind of a pain to wrestle around with that top, just because it's longer and heavier. When we got that Jeep (purchased used) it didn't have a soft top, so we ordered one from a dealer on eBay. The Unlimited hard top is such a bear I have a good mind to sell the damn thing this spring when I switch tops.

No trouble with warpage, the hardtop is flexible enough that it will re-fit once it is put back on.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Thanks! Here's my addy: kate at selby.ws

: > : > Is anyone using the vertical cart system? : > : > Any other suggestions? : > : > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for : > it, : > : > we : > : > may just leave it up there like a pinata... : > : >

: > : > Kate : > : >

: > : >

: > : : > : : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

I guess you've gotta REALLY read what you wrote there...oh, never mind. _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > WHAT???!!!!!

Reply to
twaldron