transmission mount on a CJ

Whats the best way to change one of these? I have a 76-cj5 and the shift lever moves considerably when the engine is under a load.

I was just wondering how to support things while the skid plate is removed..doesnt it hold the tranny and TC up?

thanks guys!

Reply to
Steve G

Steve G did pass the time by typing:

Probably close to what I do.

DougW

"DougW" wrote in news:qGLXf.8986$FD4.2177 @dukeread07:

I actually had printed out that page for reference, a couple weeks ago, as I did mine. It was far more helpfull than the Chilton manual.

Thanks, rufus

Reply to
rufus t

I would be checking the engine mounts first. You can have someone watch the engine as you let out the clutch in 1st while holding the brake down. Do the same in reverse. If the engine lifts on either, you have a busted mount. To check the tranny mount, I just lay under and lift and push on the tail piece to see if it moves around.

It has an outrigger mount likely too.

You can put a jack or axle stand under the tailpiece or right at the front of the tranny/skid plate to hold it up, but I shudder at the though of trying to remove a skid plate that old. Visions of grinding off nuts, spun nutserts and snapped bolts and welders keep going through my head....

I think I would try and undo the mount, then lift up on the tail piece to try and get the old mount to slide out.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks.. thinking about replacing all three mounts at same time to keep every thing straight anyway.

Reply to
Steve G

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Just be careful with the engine mounts. They are reverse of each other on either side of the engine so their safety loop limits the sideways movement of the mount's rubber. That is so you can't just tear them apart first time you hit low range.

I also highly recommend you get OEM mounts, not aftermarket ones. I totally destroy aftermarket mounts on mine. I literally shattered the last one. The rubber was still holding, but the metal plates were crumbled.

Mike

Steve G wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey mike.. any chance youd have a pic of crumbled (metal plates) mounts? im not sure i understand how you mean?

I got my engine mounts in today.. gonna wait for weekend for the tranny. The engine maounts seemed to have helped though. One of them fell in two pieces when it came out.

Thanks guys!

Reply to
Steve G

I will see if I kept it when I go out tomorrow.

You know that metal plate that fell off the rubber part? Think that shattered into pieces still stuck to the rubber....

It is because of my tall gears, 3.31's and 33x9.5" muds that just don't spin. It stresses the crap out of the engine mounts and frame.

Mike

Mike Romain

Sounds similar to my 33x10.50 with 3.54's =)

i bet yours has better low range than the dana20 TC though...

Reply to
Steve G

I posted a couple photos over on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4

My 258 is manually tuned up with an Accel Supercoil and a straight pipe to a Dynomax Turbo muffler. It is tuned to pass emissions with nice numbers despite not needing a Cat converter.

I will light up the 33's from a start, hit 52 mph at 4400 rpm in 2nd, a quick 75 mph in 3rd, 4th buries the speedo and I have no urge to see how fast 5th will go.....

Mike

Steve G wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain