Intermittent low voltage on 91 Cherokee

The dash voltage gauge will read between 10-14 volts unpredictably. When it reads low, the fuel gauge reads low, the oil pressure reads lower, the temp higher. Sometimes this happens while driving; at the start of the trip, the gauge reads a normal 14 volts, but drops after a while.

I'm suspecting a relation to the engine compartment temp, the higher the ambient temp, the lower the reading on the volt gauge. I see no effect on other elec. components, no dimming of lights etc.

Could this be a bad connection at the fuse block? Does the connector to the fuse block pull off from the engine compartment side of the firewall?

thanks DH

Reply to
dh

I can't say for sure about your XJ, but many vehicles have a separate voltage regulator for the cluster gauges. This insures they will read true when system voltage varies for any reason. I don't if it is replaceable or if you would have to change the whole cluster. Joe, 90XJ

Reply to
Joe M

It's always that damn ground wire, the braid from the back of the block to the firewall. Check it. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

I will second that!

Mike