how to tap driving and fog lights into highbeams?

88 YJ, I want to tap the "driving" lights (sorta long throw fog lights) into the highbeam switch so they they are on when the high beams are on. With the fogs coming on when the highs are off. Then have both sets (fog and driving) controlled by one toggle. Which would give me normal low and high beams, and then toggled, would give me lows + fogs or Highs + driving. My driving lights are so bright and throw out so far, the only time I want them on is when the highs would be used, or off road.

Can any tell me what wires coming out of the steering column, I'd need to tap into, going to the toggle, and what relay I might need? Anyone seen any links to custom projects to wire their offroad/driving or fog lights in similar configurations?

Be nice to control everything through one switch.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Steve G

Well couldn't you use two relays and have the relays both grounded with one switch in the dash? Turn off the switch and relays would not turn on. Or if the Low or High Beams were not on the Driving or Fog lights would not be on.

The relays would get their positive switch wires from the headlight wiring. Main power to the Driving Lights or Fog Lights would come from the battery via a fused wire. High Beam would switch the Driving Lights Relay on. Low Beam would switch the Fog Lights Relay on. Both relays would receive grounding from a dash switch (low current demands).

Relay usually has four terminals and I forget their identifying numbers/letters. :-) 1. Main Power from Battery 2. Switch Ground to Switch and Switch to metal part of body. 3. Switch Power from respective light (High Beam or Low Beam). 4. Relayed Power to respective light (Driving or Fog lights).

Does this make sense? later, dave

Reply to
Dave

Simon Juncal did pass the time by typing:

First off you need two bosch style relays.

Here is a quick sketch
The way that is set your auxillary lights will turn off with the headlights.

Reply to
DougW

That is the way I would do it, ground tag the trigger wires for the relays.

I like using mini micro switches for big lights with a button just bigger than 'O' .

Here is a nice link on the wiring for the relays and how to do a ground tag with a micro switch.

Then the power signal for the triggers on the two relays can just come from the headlight wires so everything can be under the hood. The shortest fused 10 ga wire from the battery to the relays, then to the lights is best for driving lights.

Mike

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for all the replies guys, I knew some of you would have done something like this already. I'll try to add the project to my crappy Jeep project page when I'm done.

Reply to
Simon Juncal