2000 Jeep Wrangler Fog Light Mod Questions

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with factory fog lights. I notice that if you are using the fog lights and you use the high beams, the fog lights become disabled as long as you have the high beams on. I found "mod" instructions to allow the fog lights to be on with the high beams. The instructions are as follow:

"On your 2000 the relays are behind the glove box. Take it out and look to the firewall, the #2 relay is the one on the right closest to the outside of the Jeep. Pull the relay straight up, the pins are labeled, but you will need someone with good eyes or use a magnifying glass (look close, the #'s are there) bend the #1 pin back instead of cutting it off and then you could reverse it back to stock later if you want."

I have 2 questions: 1) Are these procedures correct and 2) Is this modification street legal?

Reply to
Smegma Breath

illegal and pointless. Fog lamps are for use in fog, they are not ornaments. nice name.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I am interested in the mod only to get more light when off-roading at night. I would not 'consciously' use the high beams with the fog lights while on public roads. I am glad you like my name. I am in search of discovering why I have 's***ma breath'. Do you have any ideas?

Reply to
Smegma Breath

As if bending pins on the relay would be a legal thing to do.. why do you think that the lights are set up the way they are from the factory?.. Fog lights are designed for use in fog and falling snow.. the beam pattern is short range and wide.. they are set low on the vehicle so that the beam shines under the fog layer.. they are not fitted so that an idiot like you can emulate the spacecraft seen in "Close Emcounters"..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

I think you have it mis-spelled.

Reply to
Jeepers

I stand corrected.

Jeepers

Hey, hey, hey.... I am one of those Jeep owners that use 'public roads' only to get to the 'off road'. That also includes being out in the middle of nowhere when the sun goes down. Using the fog lights along with the high beams will allow me to see better in at night while I am trying to find my way through the woods and so on. My intention is not to use the fog lights with high beams on public roads. Idiot? Hey man, I can't be too stupid.....I own a Jeep!

Reply to
Smegma Breath

Remember, the more light you throw on the road the more your pupils will dialate and counter act the light.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 11/18/03 12:58, Smegma Breath uttered for posterity:

Goddammit, who sold this bozo a Jeep without first giving him the IQ test? Yes, I know, a bucket a rocks could pass that test, but some folks just are TSTL.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:16:26 GMT, Lon Stowell shared the following:

I didn't read the whole thread but what did he say that was so wrong? Sounded like he just wanted some fog lights to use off-road and was asking how to make them work the way he wanted. Maybe his nickname is what got other people to start acting so hostile towards him?

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Yes, it's that breath! WHEW!! Do NOT go in there!! :)

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I have read this entire thread and can't understand why you got some of those nasty responses. You asked a legitimate question. It's true that fog lights are designed to be able to see better in fog. Adjusted properly, they throw a wide, low beam and are much more effective in fog than regular headlights. In heavy fog, you should slow down, and use your fogs along with your parking lights, NOT headlights. Headlights can be blinding in heavy fog because so much light is reflected back into the driver's eyes.

Your question was not about fog, it was about using the fogs with the high beams.

It is NOT, repeat NOT illegal to have your fog lights on along with your high beams. In fact in Ohio, you can have a total of 5 lights on the front of a vehicle lighted while on a roadway. They can be headlights, along with any combination of auxiliary lights, fogs included.

When driving off-road, especially on dark forest trails or roads, I use my high beams and fogs to get as much light as possible. The fogs are especially good for lighting the sides of the road to help avoid deer, etc.

Here are the directions for getting your fogs to work with your high beams:

On the ?01 or ?02 TJ, to get the fog lights to stay on with the high beams, follow these instructions:

Find the #35 fog lamp relay inside the main fuse box, which is on the passenger side of the engine under the hood. The relay is clearly marked on a diagram on the inside cover of the main fuse box.

Pull the relay straight up and out of the socket. Carefully and slowly bend the #1 pin (it's marked) 180 degrees around to the side of the plastic relay, so it will not make contact with its female socket when the relay is re-inserted.

Re-insert the relay and you're done. You can now turn on the fogs with either low beam or high beam headlights.

On 1997-2000 TJs the relay is located behind the glove box door. You remove the glove box door and pull relay #2 (the one on the right) and bend pin #1 (it?s labeled.) Put the relay back in and test. If you have no fogs you pulled the wrong relay. Just switch them and it should work.

On another subject, for those who want more light when the bright headlights are on, install a KC Hilites Quad Beam Conversion Kit. It?s part #6314 at

This allows the low beam filaments to stay on along with the high beam filaments. The factory setup turns off the low filament when high beams are turned on. It works for 2-headlight systems and 4-headlight systems. I did this on my 1994 Chevy Van, 1999 Chevy Van and my 2002 TJ. Works great.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

mabar did pass the time by typing:

Some of us aren't in Ohio. It's illegal to have fogs and high-beams on in Oklahoma. Except if your off-road. Technically, defeating the interlock is also illegal. But as anyone might suspect it's not enforced unless you do something to irritate the police and they are looking for writeups.

It's also illegal to run the fogs without headlights. I almost got a ticket for that but fortunately the cop bought my story of a blown fuse. In reality I moved the relays power fuse from constant 12v to the lowbeam line. (I had it set up so it could be run legally and bypassed by moving the fuse)

In Oklahoma it's three lights max (four if you have dual headlamps). All others and all lights above 3' off the ground must be covered while on the roadways. (also not heavily enforced)

Agreed.

Reply to
DougW

Approximately 11/18/03 13:29, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Isn't it easier to just put a good set of relays at the lights and wire them so the low beam comes on even when the high beam does? The low beam usually has a much brighter and wider pattern than a fog... not that it is hard to also set up so the fogs come on as well.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Same in California. I figured with a name like that, the questioner was in San Francisco.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I do not have a problem with people that add lights and the necessary wiring to a vehicle.. there are light bars out there made for the job.. four KC's on top will scare bears and deer, and can be angled to cover huge amounts of ground.. a far more satisfactory solution than bending contacts on relays..

I will apologize for the 'idiot' label, but the 'I like to drive at high speed... and now I have found a way to ensure that all front lights show regardless of high/low beam' was like a red rag to a bull.. combine this with a poster who asked if it was ok to fit 185/65-15's on Cherokee Pepperpot rims, and you have a picture of how other road users see 4x4/SUV divers and offroaders.. full of arrogance and with little or no respect for safety of themselves or others, nature conservancy or the law..

I will go sit in my corner now and consider taking a happy pill.. lol

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Hi Doug:

Can you point me to the Oklahoma law that says it's illegal to have fogs on along with high beams, and the law that says you cannot run fogs without headlights.

When driving in really dense fog, it's almost impossible to see if the headlights are on. They reflect almost all the light back into the driver's eyes in dense fog. The purpose of fogs is to throw a wide, low beam under the fog so the light is not reflected back into the driver's eyes. Running with both fogs and headlights on defeats the purpose of fog lights.

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

Very good San Fran comment! I am from Pennsylvania and I do not know what the state law is concerning fog lights, high beams and so on but I will do my homework.

I guess I will just have to come up with a new 'handle' and toss out the name Smegma Breath. Maybe something Jeep related (all suggestions will be appreciated).

Thanks for all the great feedback concerning fog lights and high beams. This newsgroup has to be the best information source for everything Jeep!

Reply to
Smegma Breath