In know I'm going to regret asking this but...

I have a 10 year old Disco1 200 TDI auto that I bought this April.

Every morning when I start it up, it seems to blow out light blue smoke from the exhaust but only on excelleration. Once the engine is at normal running temp, it's fine for the rest of the day even after having stood around in a car park at work all day. This week it went through its MOT only requiring a seat belt to pass, so no mechanical issues. But I am curious about this blue exhaust 1st thing every morning?

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks Gail

Reply to
Gail

Generally blue smoke indicates oil in the combustion chamber, can be several causes - worn piston rings allowing engine oil into the cylinder. Worn valve stem seals allowing oil to drop down into the cylinder. Have the engine compression tested and it may show which cylinder is suspect - or all of them. Sometimes just crap fuel will also give blue smoke at startup and then when the engine is hot it wont show.

--

Roger Martin

Hello Gail,

Mine's done 130000, and it does it too. Don't worry about it, but check the oil level now & again.

basically, the engine is worn, but it's not worth fixing until it's completely knackered. I plan to run it until it breaks, but I go easy until it's warm, and then don't use more than 3000 rpm.

I use low range a lot to pull away with a big trailer on, just to save the clutch, which is original and so can't be long for this life.

One last thing - I put a new timing belt when I got it - that is a bit of insurance worth having.

I'm sure your's will go for many years yet !

Reply to
david harrison