idle problems

my 88 4.2 as been having idle problems. in most cases it will happen when coming to a stop, or in worst cases if im not on the gas. in recent fiddling with mostly the carb and air filter, it was running fine for awhile, i was expecting the problem to start when the choke opened up so took the air filter lid off to see where the choke was and it stalled right away. I put it back on and it would start and stop, start and stop, with the help of opening the throttle, but would eventually run and idle fine again(at least when car wasnt moving). I took the lid off again and it stalled. did it about 4 times so it wasnt coincidince. i know the lid is on there for a reason but i dont think it should stall right away like this. anyone know whats goin on? thanks if you do

Reply to
88yj

That sounds like the classic plugged up idle tubes on the stock Weber-Carter BBD you would have in there.

You can look down the throat of the carb while it is running to see if you get sprays of gas mist out of the venturis or to see if you get gas drips coming out.

The venturi cluster 'can' be removed from the top if you take the choke plate out of the way. It has to be rotated 180 or so, but it comes out.

The two brass tubes there have crimped ends that are too small and plug up easy. They need to be cleaned out and preferable reamed out to 0.32 using a mini drill bit or I use a set of welding torch tip cleaner files for this that welding shops sell.

Here is a link to the test and clean instructions:

The cause is dirt in the carb. A kit for your carb is less than $25.00 and is easy to put in. Make sure you get the piece of gas line between the carb and filter clean too as this is a sneaky dirt source. One other is running out of gas which can suck little charcoal bits into the float bowl from the emissions canister.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06

88yj wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain