Idles too low

I have a 96 Jeep Cherokee that idles too low. It started about a week ago. The idle speed dropped about 3k rpm. I have to give the car a little gas at stops so it won't die. Can this be fixed by adjusting the idle set screw or is this something I should have checked out by a mechanic.

Thanks.

Reply to
teegardent

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net did pass the time by typing:

Although there is a set screw on the throttle body, it's not for adjusting the low idle point, just for setting the butterfly valve so it doesn't wear a groove into the throttle body. Grab a can of spray cleaner that's safe for O2 sensors and spray the idle air passage, the pintle in there is probably sticking.

A little more reading.

DougW