Ignition Switch Won't Turn

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic

My ignition switch won't turn. This has been an intermittent problem that would be cured with a few jiggles and twists, but now it seems to have become a permanent condition.

I mentioned it to a Jeep body shop guy and he said that it was because the cold weather caused the grease in the lock to harden. This seemed logical at first since the problem seems to occur more during the colder months, BUT I just took the cover off of the steering column and blasted the lock with a hair dryer for two hours while jiggling and twisting the key - no dice.

Any experience with such a problem?

Please help...I'm stuck in my driveway! (fortunately)

Reply to
morgan

The Merg

Not grease. Graphite lock lubricant. If that doesn't help, you'll need a new switch.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Try some WD-40, that might soften the old grease and lube the lock enough to turn. If that works I'd them put a small amount of white lithium grease on the key and work it in and out of the lock a few times.

You may also have a worn key and/or lock. If the key is worn you might try another key or even go to the dealer and get a new one made.

If worse comes to worse there is always a locksmith.

Jeff DeWitt

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Are the wheels up against the lock? If so, turn the wheel a bit while your trying to turn the key.

Reply to
DougW

Does your Cherokee have an interlock that requires the shifter to be in Park and the brake pedal to be depressed? Both my `89 and my `96 had them and if it got out of whack you couldn't turn the key.

Or, the lock assembly itself could be bad.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

This is a very common problem in Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000 model, ignitiiton key won't turn esp. during cold winter days also the CD cartridge in extreme cold or hot weather. I did bring up this issue with Chrysler and asked them to do a recall they think its not a major problem and there is no need to do a recall, they did initially offered to look into my jeep, now they say its not under warranty anymore. I tried a different approach by threating them that I will take the story to media like 60 minutes (CBS).

The temporary solution which works everytime for me is, I have a metal hammer very small weighs less that 5 ounces came with a complimentary tool kit with some purchases during father's day sale. I keep this hammer permanently in the glove compartment, its worth a million $$$ now ;).

If not a very small hammer use something very light, try tapping on the key, very gently and lightly while trying to turn the key. This trick worked for me everytime. I got this solution from the net. Be careful, do not hit the key hard as you don't want the key to break and stay stuck in the ignition lock cylinder.

Give it a try and see if it helps you.

Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@thedef.org wrote:

Reply to